Going to the beach!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to the beach this weekend, and was wondering if there is anything I can find down there that would be good for sand sifting, or be really nice to have in the tank. The beach I am going to is not at all tropical and there are no ornamental fish there. There are hermit crabs and those sand-fiddlers. The grey things that have orange guts. Dont mean to get all grusome but I dont know how else to describe them.

Myrtle Beach, well actuall Cherry Grove which is 10 minutes from Myrtle, we got a place cheap.

ohh myrtle beach, last time i was there i didnt find anything :cry: . I did buy some shells for my hermits though!

You’d be surprised the amount of quality fish you can find for your aquarium in the ocean... :roll: Heh, perhaps that wasn’t the best wording.

Looking back, I don’t think I bought one fish for my aquarium, all of them I’ve caught out in the wild. And It’s not like I’m being stuck with 10 puffers each dive either. I’ve caught a wide variety, from Flame Angelfish to numerous Butterflyfish.

If I have it my way, I’ll likely never buy a fish. However, if (and when) I do, it’ll likely be tank raised.

And let me say, they are hardly easy to catch :D

I would like to stress that is very important to know your local laws as far as catching fish for aquairum use. Wurtzless has told me previous to this post that its legal in HI to net catch fish but its hard to say what the laws in NC will say about this.

Not to mention that the costal waters of NC are likly to not hold fish that one would normally assocate with a tropical tank.

Just wanted to say have a great trip. I miss not getting go to there every summer.

if i was in hawaii i would catch all of my own fish too :D !!

Yes, hawaii is a bit different. I was thinking about crabs and stuff that is not really tropical

You may be able to catch some tropical fish depending on the time of year. On another board, there is a diver who has caught butterfly fish, puffers and lionfish in NY & NJ.

Brian

Hmm, that sounds cool. I am an avid fisherman and always will throw my cast net for hours, I would like to bring home some shad, but I think the water in my tank is too high so I wont. I will most likely have some pics of about 3 5 gallon pails full of minnows, and other bait fish while I am sitting on the peir.

Any one else here like to fish and keep fish?

My dad used to catch baby brook trout and put them in his tank. They all invariably picked up carpet surfing as their favorite sport.

Of course ff, I apologize if I didn’t make it clear to begin with – the only reason I do catch fish is because it’s within Hawaii state law. After our conversation a couple of days ago I also decided to pick up an informational pamphlet to hopefully further what I believed was true. It’s illegal to set traps that are left unattended and what not, however it is legal to catch fish with hand-nets, although you are allowed no more then 4-5 per dive. I couldn't agree more, it is important to know the state law before trying to attempt to catch fish.

I have never caught more fish then I needed nor have I attempted to sell them.

In our conversation the other day we talked about how you found it odd that while your not allowed to take coral/live rock in Hawaii, you can take fish. And I thought about it somewhat, and even looked on my own practices of obtaining fish. I agree that while it hurts the environment (however small) to take even one Tang or Butterflyfish, I feel that it can’t possibly hurt more then practices in places such as the Philippines where tropical aquarium fish are caught by the bucket-load.

And yeah, heh – I don’t think you’ll be able to catch tropical fish on the North Carolina coast.. :lol:

I am going to Ocean City at the end of this month. Does anyone think there will be any fish there that I can put in my reef tank?

I caught the 3 Blennies I have in my tank, all alive and doing quite well..I call them my little piggies...They eat anything I put in the tank..I even caught one eyeing a carrot I was eating so I mashed a little piece up and dangit it ate it right out of my fingers...Rabbit? crazy...but, fun to watch.....

I live in Panama City Beach, Flordia, right on the Gulf of Mexico. One of the big reasons I would love a SW tank is because of this. Everytime I go snorkeling and diving I see tons of sea life. When I look at the prices of sw fish I just think how glad I am that I live here and can catch them all in the wild.

Of course I don't have a sw tank so it really doesn't matter. Maybe down the road when I master fw I will move to sw.

I'm going to the beach also !!! Florida ( Clearwater beach)

I'm heading out in the morning for Florida ( man i dred that drive 15 hours ) :cry: I'm hoping I can also get a few critters for my tank :D No fish though I only get my fish from a well respected source . I get my fish at a store in Cincinatti , Oh. (just about fish ) These guys really know there stuff , but of course I have learned much of what I know from this forum , thanks to all the great pple in here :D Man I can't wait to get there 8)

I'm going to the keys on a honeymoon in two weeks! I can't wait, I've never been anywhere tropical so it should be cool to see coral reef. Hehehe...maybe that's not such a good idea...I might like what I see and decide, to my new wife's dismay, that I want a reef tank :lol:

Back
Top Bottom