Goldflake Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolee0722

Aquarium Advice Freak
Will a small goldflake angel outgrow a 96 gallon fowlr tank? I really want to keep one but I'm not sure if it will be okay to keep one in a 96 gallon tank? Please reply.

They get to be 10", So i would not do it. Most of the angels outside dwarfs and pygmys need 120g or more.

The manager at my lfs said that they canbe kept in a minimum size tank of 90 gallons and online many say 100, so I figured with a 96 gallon tank and around 35 gallon sump it would work.

Also, I figured I would buy a small 2 inch one and have it grow in the tank. I have heard that with many fish, they won't reach maximum size when in a tank unless you buy them like that.

Fish stores sell fish and make money by doing so. Would it live in that size? Yes. For as long? Probably not. Would it thrive? No...you just mentioned that it might not grow to full size, which is not thriving.

I tend to agree with the recommendations that liveaquaria makes. They tend to go larger than most, but I believe that when someone says "minimum tank size", that is for when the fish is small. When it gets larger, the minimum no longer applies.

Also, not all fish reach maximum size and most websites say 100 gallons as minimum. All minimums I see are for full grown fish. Like you could keep a baby hippo tang in a 50 gallon but a full grown one will need a 180 gallon. I really want to keep a goldflake but i cant go over 100 with the space I have. However, won't the sump help with increased water volume. With my sump and tank, it would be around 130 gallons of water.

Your fish is not swimming in your sump so that water does not count towards the minimum tank size. Recommended sizes are usually based on what the fish will eventually grow up to be and their swimming behaviors. I would not go minimal size for anything. That's just me though.

Ok thanks for the advice. Maybe after a year or so I'll think about adding one. If I ever think it has outgrown the tank I can always take it back to the lfs.

I know the price. I'm wondering why YOU want a goldflake. I mean, they aren't even nice looking. A flame or potters are much more attractive.

Actually, I really like the colors And the shape of the fish. Especially the mouth. The mouth makes it look funny, and my family also likes the fish a lot.

Have you seen one in person or just pictures? The online pictures tend to be a bit "enhanced". The ones I have imported have not been anywhere near as brilliant.

I have seen them before. The owner of my lfs has one in the store which he owns. It was only there temporarily while he got his 180 gallon tank fixed. They were also selling a juvenile small version as well. They both looked healthy and the colors were good.

They do look pretty neat, one thing to think about is the length of the tank. The reason 100 gal or 125 gal are being recommended is the length, or so I assume. No one has recommended a 110 ( bigger than a 100 but only 4 feet long), the 96 is similar in water volume but no where near the length of the tanks mentioned. The one at your LFS is also in a 6 foot tank.

Actually, the one in my lfs was a really small one in like a 29 gallon tank, but many tanks are hooked up together. And the large one owned by the owner of the store was in also something like a 29 gallon but this was temporarily.

I read it was in a 180 earlier but retreading I see it is in a small tank temporarily. Most fish are in undersized tanks at the LFS but this is only temporary, the point of those tanks is to find them a permanent home. I bet it would work I'm just saying I believe a 6' tank is what is being recommended by all, here and on line.

Ok thanks a lot for the advice. Maybe once my tank has been setup for more than a year and I think a goldflake angel will thrive there and I'm up to the task, I will get it. I really like the fish but I won't to try and keep it healthy and happy because fish are alive too.

Back
Top Bottom