Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-06-2005, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to tinman
Good algae??

Ok this tank has been set up for 8 days. The ph has been a steady 8.2, ammonia is at 0 and nitrate is very close to 0. Is it posable this tank has cycled. I added a filter element from my FW tank(been up for 1.5 years) to the filter of the SW tank the first day. Then added 2 damsels the second day and took the filter back out. Also I have this brownish gold algae growing on the LR. It has a few red hairs. it seems to be spreading to my base rock too. Is this good algae or one of the bad kinds.....pic attached of algae

tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to Morticus
I am pretty sure what the top dogs will tell you is that it is 'brown algae common to new tanks and will go away in time'.

55g cycled. 15g sump, refugium, lr rubble, mag 7, Maxi-Jet 1200. 36lbs hirocks.com, 20# keys 20# gulf lr.com to arrive on Wensday!

1.0 Albino Burmese Python
0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Morticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The brown algae is most likely diatoms. It is common in new tanks just like morticus stated above. It is caused by silicates not excess nutrients and will burn off on its own.

Your cycle has probably not yet started good. The cycle should consist of an ammonia spike then a nitrite spike and then a buildup of nitrates. When the ammonia and nitrites are at zero you should do a large water change to reduce nitrates. At that time you have a completely cycled tank.

Check the articles section for two seperate articles.
1- fishless cycling
2- How ammonia converts to nitrate
Vote for AquariumAdvice

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com