good fish for a beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philc21

Aquarium Advice Activist
im looking into starting a tank and i was just reading a book the kinda put a damper on my idea it didnt say n e thing good about any kind of interesting fish they said that many were not good for beginners what kinds of fish in your guys opinions would be good for a fish time salt water aquarist

Clowns are always a good choice if you get a healthy specimen. Green Chromis are really easy and mine have been very hardy for me. Also, I would say blennies are a pretty hardy starter fish as well. So there are a few ideas.

:hat:

depending on the size of your tank a triggerfish makes an excellent beginner fish. They are very hardy, very beautiful,and have a lot of personality, however they are aggressive.

I agree that the Clownfish is a good choice. They are my first fish in the tank and the pair is still going strong. I do suggest that you get them in pairs. Seems easier on them that way.

I have a clown that I have had for 9 years. Very hardy. My dog puffer did well too but some don't have as good of luck.

A lion fish would not be a good starter fish IMO, kind of a delicate fish and they are picky eaters.

I would recommend a clown fish, many varieties or a green chromis. Some will say that damselfish are great starters and for the most part they are hardy, but to aggressive.

Bottom line is that damsels to start then clown fish. Damsels I have found are the best fish for long life and survivalbity. SOME people do even cycle there tanks with them and I have heard of people cycling and not even losing one fish. HTH 0X

I also agree you start with a clown fish, they are pretty hardy , but peaceful and really good starter fish. But if you only get one clownfish , you shouldnt get an aggresive fish because then tewnd to pick on lone warriors :wink:

If you want any other fish in the tank, heed the advice and opt for Chromis instead of Damsels. They are nasty little buggers once they establish territory, even though they are pretty. My suggestion would be a few Green Chromis or a couple of clowns to start off.

agreed. my first fish was two tomato clowns and that was almost 1.5 years ago they are still going strong and cooler than ever to watch. i tried the whole damsel thing in my first 20 gallon and all it did was aggitate the other fish into jumping out of the aquarium. :x so i finally caught him one day and back to the lfs he went.

I know some people like'em, most people hate'em, but damsels arew just so territorial. If you don't have a LOT of room for them, especially as small as they are, they will bug the other fish and cause undue stress, in a lot of cases. Not all, but a lot.

Back
Top Bottom