Good Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mckitrick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I am getting a clownfish and a firefish goby and i want to get the food before the fish so im ready, so what is the best food for these fish as im new to saltwater fish. i read online and it said they eat flake and pellets, witch is better, and what is a good brand?:D

I use Marine-S pellet food and alternate it with frozen Mysis shrimp. My clowns go nuts for both and all my fish in the tank love the pellets.

New Life Spectrum has great pelleted food. Marine S is also killer. Frozen mysis shrimp are much cleaner to use than brine shrimp and fish eat it like crazy. I stay away from flakes in saltwater tanks myself. Way to much ends up breaking apart and dissolving into the water.

thanks for the info. any place to buy this like online so i can find it easey. sorry im lazy to look around lol but if you dont know of a website i can find one.

I actually purchase both the Marine-S and frozen Mysis at Petco. I'm sure you could find the pellet food online but i don't know about the Mysis.

+1 for mysis , my clown comes to the glass and looks me in the eye when I dip in a shot glass for some water to thaw it,

If you go with frozen food I'd suggest thawing the cube in a small glass of tank water , drain into a sink , then add more water as this will help keep out any nasty additives use for freezing and freshness

I make my own food costs less then 20 bucks and lasts almost a year..

I use 6 clams, two shrimp, 4 scallops, sushi nori i use 4 sheets... a glove of garlic and. 6 ounce piece of white fish.. works great!

jsmith said:
I make my own food costs less then 20 bucks and lasts almost a year..

I use 6 clams, two shrimp, 4 scallops, sushi nori i use 4 sheets... a glove of garlic and. 6 ounce piece of white fish.. works great!

That way i dont have to worry about anything!

My last batch consisted of 1/4 lb of shrimp, 4 scallop, 2 Oysters, fillet of talapia, half a tray of frozen brine, some greens and a good tbls of phytoplankton and a good couple squirts of Zoe by Kent marine.

My fish go nuts for it. Clowns love it.

Schism said:
My last batch consisted of 1/4 lb of shrimp, 4 scallop, 2 Oysters, fillet of talapia, half a tray of frozen brine, some greens and a good tbls of phytoplankton and a good couple squirts of Zoe by Kent marine.

My fish go nuts for it. Clowns love it.

Are you buying fresh from a fish market/ grocery store or getting frozen ?
How do you store and serve it ? That seems like it would be quite the sloppy mix

Newfiereefer said:
How do you store and serve it ? That seems like it would be quite the sloppy mix

Fresh from supermarket.

Newfiereefer said:

I buy mine from the grocery store... i use a food processor then stuff in a large zip lock. And use a roll pin to flat it out then just break off thr pieces to feed.

i think ill go with frozen food like frozen shrimp and while where talking about clowns do they jump out of the tank if there is no hood?

Clowns don't tend to jump. That's not saying they can't. It's always good to have a lid on the tank as this prevents that and is good to slow down evaporation. If you don't have a lid You can always make up some sort screen to put across the top to make you feel better. My clowns normally stay around the bottom to mid level. Mine only venture to the top when they sleep.

Mckitrick said:
i think ill go with frozen food like frozen shrimp and while where talking about clowns do they jump out of the tank if there is no hood?

Mine has jumped up and hit the light , I think it gave him a headache cause he did not look happy after :D

Sniperhank said:
Normally clowns don't jump...but I am down to 1 b+w now due to one going carpet surfing while I was at work awhile back.

This happened to me, too. Had a clown for years and one day it just leapt right out.

Back
Top Bottom