Good lineup or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xhustlerose

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there guys, my boyfriend and I have been researching both online and in books/encyclopedias for the past year and have taken an interest to keeping marine fish. We've already set up a 100 gal tank with the proper equipment and have deemed it a fish only tank. We've mixed in the salt and are expecting our liverock *about 120-130 pounds of liverock* as well as live sand within the next week or so, however we do have a few questions for you:

1-Our fish lineup. We've been researching on fish and have decided on a few combinations, however we still remain unsure as to what would be best. So far we've got the following and are following the rule of 1" of fish/gal:
-2 green mandarins (breeding pair)
-2 harlequin filefish
-1 scooter blenny
-1 marine betta
-1 morish idol
-2 perculla clownfish
Now a lot of the fish we're looking at as well are slow and we were wondering if this lineup is good and what else would be best to go with what we've thought out so far. We have also asked about these fish at many stores that specialize in marine fish as well and have looked them up.

2-Also upon mixing the salt, we did notice that the water was a bit foggy, which eventually died down due to the salt disolving, however it is still a teenie bit foggy. Will it go away or is there someway to make the water a lot clearer?

That's all for now and for those who take the time to read this and answer, thanks a lot, it really helps! =)

2 green mandarins
Not a good choice for a new tank. Need a large pod population and mature tank. Pods are their main food. otherwise they will starve.
2 harlequin filefish
Stay away they will die. Extremely hard to keep by even "experts"
scooter blenny
Like mandarins they need a very mature tank. Not a good choice for a new tank.
marine betta
As long as you do not have small fish it will be fine. Otherwise they will be it's dinner. Be aware they are nocturnal so you will not see a lot of it.
morish idol
Worst possible fish you could possibly think about getting. Close to 100% death rate in aquariums.
perculla clownfish
(y) Now you are talking. Good choice.

You have picked some of the hardest fish to keep.
Pick some fish from this list.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=1926

Once you have picked some better fish post them here or check the compatability guides. Someone here will more than happy to help you out.
The 1" of fish per gal does not apply to SW. A better "rule" would be 3-4" per 10 gallons, but it really comes down to the type of fish. Also just making sure you are aware that you should only add 1-2 fish at a time, about a month apart to your tank so it can handle the increased bio-load.
2-Also upon mixing the salt, we did notice that the water was a bit foggy, which eventually died down due to the salt disolving, however it is still a teenie bit foggy. Will it go away or is there someway to make the water a lot clearer?

It will eventually clear up. In the future make sure you mix your water in a separate container and let it mix for 24 hours min so it will be properly oxygenated and mixed.

Be sure you cycle your tank correctly before you add fish or you will have a quick death.
http://aquariumadvise.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Okay, just to clear things up here about the mandarin fish, they're the last fish that are going in. We realize what their diet consists of and of course that they require a lot of food, therefore we've looked up just how much they would need and we've decided that of course, the tank needs to be mature when they are put in, I was asking more as to if they'd do fine with the other fish. A lot of these fish I know require a mature tank and we're willing to wait for them, and one thing that we've also realized is that practically all fish have somewhat of a death percentage rate since most of the ones we have access to here aren't tank bred and come from the wild, however I do appreciate your opinions and advice, it does give us more to think about =) and we'll be sure to check out that link too and our water's been cycling for a few weeks now and we're not adding fish until everything is settled and the liverock and livesand is put in and even then we're also willing to wait and we've got a quarantine tank set up as well with its own filter and heater ect. and we know about slowly adding fish =D At least I know though that it'll clear up, I was just wondering though. =)

That tank would MAYBE support two mandarins after it has matured at least a year and you have a large, also mature refugium.

As novices, you are probably in for some heartache with that list.

Sorry, not a good line-up for all of the reasons listed above. The good news is that there are still a lot of other great choices for you. Tangs, angels, some butterflies, the list goes on. I would focus on specis that have a good survival rate, especially if you are new to the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom