Good offer price on 55 gallon setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoveLEE143

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I man locally is selling his aquarium. I am currently setting up my saltwater aquarium. He has a 55 gallon with 100lbs of live rock, with oak stand, oak hood, wet/dry filter, and tank currently running listed for $500. I spoke with him he said he would part the system out. What would be a good offer price for the filter, sand, and live rock. I need everything but the tank stand and hood. I have a 44 gallon pentagon I would like to transfer his stuff to. Sorry if this a vague this is all the information I have right now I am going tonight to view his aquarium.

If you could post back once you have more info about the wet/dry and the return pump as well as the depth and type of sand.

Initally I would say $250 for the rock, sand, wet/dry with return pump and overflow.

IMO, I would definitely not buy his old, dirty sand. Detritus along w/ many other problem causing elements accumulate in sand, until the sand can no longer absorb anything. Then the problems start b/c the sand starts to "leak" all those nasty things back out, possibly causing a system crash. Buy new sand and let the Critters from the LR populate it, thus making it LS.

I think $250 may be a bit low... depending on the quality 100lbs of LR could easily go for $250 by itself... heck I bought 35lb from LR.com and that was close to $200... Personally I think it is a good deal for $500... you may save more money just buying the entire system and selling the hood/stand.... the tank is prob worth $50 atleast, $75 or so if drilled... not sure on filter.... depending on lighting that could be atleast another $100 or more... an oak stand/hood would easily fetch another $100 if in good condition. Personally I would buy the whole thing if possible but I would skip the sand...

Back
Top Bottom