Good open water/mid-high tank swimmers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natterjak

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any suggestions for fish that like to swim in open water or higher in the tank? We have a 70 gallon tall, and I'd like to have a good spread of fish swimming in the tank - I have plenty of ideas for lower tank/rock inhabitants, but not many for the higher parts of the tank. TIA :)

Hello,

I have a 110g tall that will be setup very soon, to fill the top part of the tank I like Chromis (In a school), FireFish, Banghaii Cardinals, ultimately I would choose a school of chromis, their hardy, passive and look great when swimming in a school of 6 or more!!

Cunch

Do they only school when there are 6 or more of them? 6 x 3" = 18", which already maxes out how many fish I can have in my tank. :)

Hi Cunch, I am very new here, and I am currently cycling my new 46 gal. I put in four danios and they seem to like the top to the middle. They are very neat fish, very active. They chase one another around the tank. Fun to watch! I am not sure what amount you have to have to have them 'school', but like cunch said, six or more is good. I am going to get two more danios when my tank is cycled. Although the four danios school now, or so it seems..lol.

i thought danios were freshwater when i read that post!! i has been my experiance that the chromis will school in odd numbers, so if you dont want to have a tank full of chromis just go with 3-5. also for open water swimmers i love the strawberry psuedochromis (sorry can't spell), pj cardnials, and flame angels.
good luck,
Mermaid

I have one Strawberry Psuedochromis one Banggai Cardinalfish and one One Ocellaris Clownfish who all swim mid to top tank. I also have one Scooter Blenny who stays on the bottom and eats pods etc...

Natterjak,

I concur with cunch,"Chromis (In a school), FireFish, Banghaii Cardinals".. are all good choices. You did not state if you were going reef or FO, but assuming you have adequate filtration a school of 5 chromis would look nice and do do not think will max out your load. I have 5 chromis in my 75g FOWL setup and then tend to constantly school in the top third of the tank. I also have a firefish which stays in the middle to lower third of the tank. Dwarf angels also tend to move around the tank as well as some tangs. My brother has a couple of cardinals which are very peaceful and hover in the mid to upper part of his tank. Don't overlook clowns either.

Good luck,

3 Blue Green chromis will school, as already said clownfish are good choices, as they move around a lot. A pygmy angel would also add some good, color as well they are always on the move.

I agree with Six-Line but I also have a Carpenters flasher wrasse that like mid to high water. Great swimmer, usually too fast for a good photo although I think I have or tow in my gallery. Better ones coming soon.

Thats what I have 3, they school well and are always on the move.

You didn't specify if it were to be agressive either...If it were to be agressive you can go with some triggers or puffers..

Back
Top Bottom