Good or no good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would never recommend anything I havent done or tried before. I give my opinion based on what I would do.

Too much air circulation causes fish stress and can push any fish into any kind of corals, which can cause cuts .. Just something to watch for..

Just my logical 2 cents.. Take it for what its worth..

If the powerheads are setup correctly there should be no sand storms or fish flying around. I find my 425 kinda weak in my cube actually. But its a shorter tank than a 29 regular. I keep mine aimed at each others flow and towards the front or back glass. You want a totally chaotic flow going on in there.

I've used purple up since its so milky to see where the flow actually goes and where it doesnt. :) You dont want any dead spots on the sand or rocks. And you also wanna make sure your corals are stable so you wouldnt' point a powerhead directly at the corals. My clowns LOVE to play in the flow, they do it all day in my 125g with 1400gph powerheads. back and forth all day long. LOL

It's like surfing I guess for them.
lol

2 of the ones u were going to get will be fine.. But again just my 2 cents.. The ones carey is talking about id use in 55 gallon +

Carey I would LOVE to see my clowns doing that lol some of the fish in my dads freshwater tank do that, it's so fun to watch

Ant, I think I'm gonna start off with one of the ones Carey suggested and see how it works out for me, cause I can get those for the same price as the smaller ones

Any suggestions on having just 1 powerhead in the tank?

We're still talking about koralia 425's right? Anything more could give you trouble, it didnt for me, but I like alot of flow. Two 425's will be enough, 2 550's would be nice too.

I use 2 750's in my 55g as well. i was even using a 750 in my 29g biocube with absolutely no ill effects, but that probably has to do with all the live rock I have in there and how it's placed.

every tank is different though. If you ahve alot of rock I thinkmore flow is needed. If you have very delicate fish though that should be considered as well. My mandarin doesnt mind the 425 in the cube but I havent tried her with the 750 yet. But I will be. :)

I think the water turnover youre looking for is at least 10x the water volume for fish only and 30x for reefs. So 1000gph total with the filter included is pretty close.

You could also buy just one and scope it out. See what it does for your tank.

You have a 30" long tank correct?

I have 40x turnover and you have 32x HAHAHAHAHHAHSNJEKENEKWMM. No but really, if you place the power heads correctly, it won't look like you really have very much. I have my power heads towards the front top, pointing in towards each other to the back. I put in a 1" blue tang in there until he gets better and he plays in the current all the time. My clownfish know how to avoid it lol

Haha good for your clowns, but now that Carey said hers "surf" with the powerheads, I want mine to lol

And yes carey the koralias, And yes on the 30g long, I want to get a lot of lr in there, as much as I can to still look good to me lol and hopefully a lot of zoas, shrooms, and birdsnest, I know there are some fish that pick at coral so would my rusty angel, mandarin, clowns, and a one of the wrasses I mentioned before be okay In there?

Angels all have the possibility of nipping, it;s just their nature. :)

We've had this conversation about the mandarin already did we not? You have a good long time before you can consider putting one in. But having an abundance of live rock will help along. Also a refugium could be a very helpful option as well.

Back
Top Bottom