Good powerheads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently in the process of setting up a 80G FOWLR.

Can anyone recommend a good powerhead?

I will need 2, correct?

Thanks Jon

There are lots on the market. One thing I learned early on is that suction cups are brutal. They work for a while but soon deform and stop working. I always liked the Koralia powerheads as they use a magnet from the outside to hold things in place. I use one for my PWC tote. And depending on your budget you can't go wrong with a Ecotech Vortech pump. You can get multiples of them but usually one will do the trick. Held on by magnet and actually driven by magnet as well...

Steve

Ok.

If a suction cup fails, I know this is going to sound weird but could you glue to the window? I dont think I would want magnets on the side of my tank or do they not look that bad? Pic?

Is there a different flow with 2?

Thanks Jon

The magnets are sealed in the base of the units. The Koralia has a slim magnet in the outside portion of the unit and really isn't all that distracting. The Vortech has the drive and cables situated outside the tank and the inside is a clean low profile unit. Head to any online retailer and check out the pics. Ultimately it's your taste and budget that have to be met.

With two units you can get at different areas of the tank (less dead spots) or aim them at each other and create a really random flow in the tank.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom