Good RO Unit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of setting up a marine setup, hence all the questions :)

Can anyone suggest a good RO Unit?

and how easy they are to operate.

Thanks Jon

they are basically plug and play. check the vendor air-water-ice. they'll hook you up with a decent unit.

I purchased this RO/DI for $100 on ebay. It arrived 2 days ago. I haven't hooked it up yet, as I am putting the finishing touches on my stand and sump. I also still need to get a return pump as well, so the unit is just sitting on my table waiting to be setup. But my LFS recommended these guys from ebay.

link

Last edited:
i bought a couple units from them as well. btw, that taste filter on top is nothing more than another carbon filter. you really don't need it.

The taste filter actually adds TDS back to the water so dont use it at all...

Air water ice, Filter guys, and bulk reef supply all have good units at decent prices. with RO you get what you pay for skimp on the filter and you will pay for it in algea blooms.

Thanks for the responses I am looking at the first two on this website.

Whats the difference between the first two and do i need the difference?
RO/DI Systems

Thanks Jon

I'm no expert, but 0 ppm water is 0 ppm water. If you're wanting to use it for things other than aquarium water you might want to spend a bit more and get a tank, or one that will filter a bit faster. But the link I gave you does RO/DI water and is supposed to give a reading of 0 ppm if tested. That's what you're after.

The first one does not include a DI unit. the second has DI but its the horizontal kind which will deplete faster than the third option. WHich is the one I would choose

@tjm80 More than likely it will provide 0tds but only for a few months as it stands there and the post GAC filter is useless. I have the same housing as that one as i too purchaced a simalar unit off of ebay, after 6 months I was producing 4-5 TDS water and the tank i had at the time was a 20gallon tank so I had barely made any water before it started to track bad. The main problems with the ebay units are their membranes and Di units. Horizontal DI units suffer from chanelling, where the DI material allows a channel to be created and the water flows through with out being filtered. The membranes have a 3:1 reject rate or worse. and the post RO water still comes out with pretty high TDS readings...

Ebay is perfect as long as you plan on replacing and upgrading the filters withing 60months

Could you not simply mount the DI unit upright? Would flushing the system help any at all? I am considering installing mine in the guest bathroom so it will be out of the way, since all it will be used for is my aquarium. I could easily mount all the filters upright.

Sorry, I'm confused about what is the recommendation here. I too am looking for an RO/DI unit. I want to mount it up in my garage and can do it in any configuration. I also want to hook it up to my hose versus permanently attaching to a sink.

You can mount the DI unit upright the problem is those smaller DI units just dont last as long and they are far less efficient than a true vertical 10" unit as seen on the filtersguys RO/DI unit 3rd from the top. DI binds to the final TDS left in your water after the RO membrane. It litterally gets used up. The small units are subject to whats know as surge TDS. as it approaches the end of its life the TDS reading can go from 1-2 to 50-60 in just a few gallons of water.

As with everything with this hobby if you opt to buy quality products that will last you and your reef will be much happier in the long run.

i would purchase a R.O.D.I. unit that doesn't do more than 75 gallons per day.
a 50gpd or 75gpd is fine. the 100gpd units and above waste a lot more water.

Back
Top Bottom