Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
Good supplement for coralline algea growth?

I ordered 30lbs of base rock from hirocks.com last night. I would like to try to get some good algea growth on it. I am not using fancy lighting but I have heard NO is enough for just rock. Buddy has been using stronium (pretty sure thats what it is) and he has been getting some good results.

What should I get to help growth on this rock? I plan on putting about 8lbs in my 10 gallon and the rest in my 38 gallon. And I plan on getting a 40lbs order from liverocks.com to finish off the 38gal. But I was hoping I can get some growth on the base rock.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
As long as you maintain decent calcium and alkinity levels with ok lighting you should get good coraline growth.

Try to keep your calcium around 450ppm.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will go purchase a calcium test kit tonight if I get a chance. Probably need to buy some supplements also.

Thanks.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
Old 04-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll need some coraline algae in the tank in order to seed the hirocks rock. obviously when you add the liverocks.com rock, that'll seed it, but until then you'll need a scraping of coraline, or you won't see any growth, regardless of calcium supplementation. hirocks.com is stored and shipped dry so it won't have any coraline on it to seed with.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a few pieces of live rock in my 10 gallon with some coraline on it. That should take care of the pieces I am putting in the 10 gallon. I am going to add at least 8lbs to the 10 gallon.

We will justr have to see what happens/

Old 04-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If you put dead rock in with corraline covered LR, it will seed eventually. I bought 50lbs of dead rock on Ebay awhile back and it is mostly covered now. Some went to my main tank, some to my 10 gal nano and some to my 5 gal nano. I had LR in each one to help it along. The rock in the display would cover up a lot faster but it has alot more water and seed rock.

Patience...
Old 04-07-2005, 10:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
i use aragamilk as a calcium and trace buffer and i have noticed my coralline spreading rather quickly, but i also have heard up people using "purple up" andhaving good success with that
Old 04-08-2005, 12:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the replies. With 5lbs of live rock and 20lbs of live sand how long do you think it will take about 8-10lbs of dead rock to become live? Once the tank gets going good with the extra rock I may take off my filters and add a small powerhead instead.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Like you said in the first post here. Dont forget the strontium as it will help it spread quickly. I use seachem reef complete and it is a calcium and strontium additive for good growth.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algea, coral, coralline, growth, supplement

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com