Gorgonians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnNLuc

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey, a LFS of mine got a few yellow fingered gorgonians in and before I run out and purchase it for $23 I was wondering has anyone else kept one and if so the degree of diffuculty it was to keep or is this something that is best viewed at the store and not taken home? TIA

It is most likey from the genus Diodogorgia. This is the most widley seen genus in the aquarium market. They are generally deep-water animals and do not rely on zooxanthellea for feeding. Thus, they have special dietary requirments and need regualr feedings. They are a diffacult coral to keep. Tey do require high water movement in order to keep microalgea from covering them. I did have a very nice purple gorgonian for a few months. Without warning it just started to decay. Maybe one to skip.

Thanks lando. I spotted it yesterday while roaming the fish store looking for ways to spend the next pay check and thought it was neat and something different to add to the tank but i guess I will have to just pass on this one.

No problem. They are beautiful and very tempting. The sad fact is that they do not live very long. the price is not too bad so if you want to give it a shot go for it. Remember, lots of flow, target feeding three times a week and regular "dusting" to keep algea off and you will be able to enjoy it for a while.

If you ever do get the chance though, look for gorgs with grey/brown polyps. Unlike the heterotrophic gorgs with snow white polyps, these are photosynthetic to a large degree and do not require much in the way of additional organics to do well. In a properly lit reef system, they can do quite well. Just be sure the tanks matured some, it will still be somewhat susceptible to new tank algae problems.

Cheers
Steve

I have had a yellow 2 finger gorg in my tank for about 6 months now and it is doing great. I have it in a high flow area and yes... I have to "dust" it about once every 2 weeks or so. It has grown and has lots of white polyps. I guess it just depends on how much hands on you want since it is kind of a pain to have to dust it.

When you say dust it do you just use a brush to get off any diatoms, cyano or other algae that might be growing on it causing the polyps not to come out?

Back
Top Bottom