Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-26-2004, 10:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Yeah, sometimes the corals do look bad, they were real poor today, I think worse than I've ever seen. I got to see the new fish room, all I can say is WOW 8O It is going to be AMAZING when it's done. They are having a huge anniversary sale march 27/28 and they expect the fish room to be done by then. Thee are going to have a ton more LR and fish. They have a huge custom acrylic tank that is about 16 inches deep and probably 20 feet long that I belive will house corals. The skimmers they had were over 6 feet tall and I couldn't even wrap my arms aroudn them. I can't even imagine the amount of money they spend on this. The floor alone I'm told was $8,000 8O I"m so excited to see it!!!

jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 01:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
What is wrong with using damsels or chromis for cycling? I used 4 green chromis for cycling my tank and they did great and are still doing great in a 240 gal tank at one of our fire stations. I was told by someone who maintains the tanks at an aquarium at one of the local high schools (this aquaruim is no joke) that they would be great and they were. They were very healthy and still are.

Oafboy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 01:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to potato5656
When i was about 7 years old my dad and i would go to "that fish place" as it used to be called. i'll never forget it. after the long drive from Newtown, PA we arrived at the mecca of all fish stores. i remember seeing tanks line the walls for what seemed like miles! I still have a cool teal (laguna seca blue hehe my sig) hat saying that fish place on it. there used to be a little pet department, but was dwarfed by the miles of fish. maybe when i go back east this summer i'll drop by. glad to hear that u'll work there.

off-topic: how much is the actual cost of a 140 gallon oceanic tank (reef ready and oak cabinet) w/ lights?
potato5656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 06:08 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
What is wrong with using damsels or chromis for cycling? I used 4 green chromis for cycling my tank and they did great
During the initial cycle of the tank the ammonia and nitrite reaches toxic levels, for every 1 damsel that does fine through the cycle, 5 die. While in the toxic soup, the fish are weakened and are more susceptible to disease and parasitic infestation. Damsels are mean as hell and most will want to remove them when the cycle is over (not all, but most), this can sometimes prove problematic. The biggest reason though, is it isn't necessary, it is easier and safer and cheaper to cycle with a raw cocktail shrimp, it simply doesn't give you anything to look at during the cycle.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 09:18 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
Congrats.. I am sure you will be a great fit there. You have been a great help to me. The only advice I can give you is don't lie and oversimpilify. Let people know about this website. Don' t be the LFS guy that I cannot stand to go to now because I have been told "the bubble coral will do great with just light no need to feed it" I was told the same thing when I called to inquire about a saddle anonome that my wife bought for the clowns. The sad part is that I have seen the bubble that they had beside the one I got.. It has like one bubble left and is wasting away (very sad) It is refreshing to hear someone say "I dont know I will look" or well it really needs this.... Like when I bought my zoos from another store... I was told they might survive on light alone and what they can catch but for just 10 bucks in photoplaynkton they will thrive..(and they have). I know you are under pressure to sell but trust me repeat business from successfull (happy) coustomers will be better in the long run than the quick score and subsequent leaving the hobby.. I know have only one guy in Pittsburgh that I will buy from.. Not store, the employee and I am sure he gets quite a commission from me.

I will be out to see you.. turns out we have alot more Pa people in the hobby than I thought, we ought to all get together

Doan is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com