Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Got a job at my LFS

Just got a job today at my LFS(thatpetplace) in lancaster PA. I'll just be working there as a second part time job while I finish college. Just thought it would be nice to try and help out some other people in this hobby and work doing something I actually like. I wanted to work in teh fish room but was hired to work in the dry good section and will be crosstraned in a month or to. I"m just worreid that I will get frustrated at some of advice coworkers give customers. Not that I know it all or am an expert by any means but I've heard some employees say some cRaZy stuff while I've been shopping there. Plus, I get a discount!!

Old 02-25-2004, 05:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Make sure you tell the customers to come see us if they have any questions you simply get tired of answering!

:P

Old 02-25-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen
Make sure you tell the customers to come see us if they have any questions you simply get tired of answering!

:P
I sure will, I actually thought of making little business cards to hand out! Too bad we don't have a referral reward, bet I could win , the store does an insane amount of business, it's probably bigger than one of those wal-marts that sells groceries and general merchandise.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll be there tomorrow, slip me a sump out the back door.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 06:56 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Too bad we don't have a referral reward, bet I could win
We had a contest last year where we gave away an RO/DI unit for the most referrals.

Quote:
Just got a job today at my LFS(thatpetplace) in lancaster PA
Congrats, I did it for about 3 years, it's very frustrating, but hopefully your employer will allow you to advise responsibly with the fish in mind rather than simply their bottom line

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsGuru
I'll be there tomorrow, slip me a sump out the back door.
Lol, I work 12-9 so look outside around that time At my interview today I learned they have a 6+ foot alligator in the back so be careful of that 8O I guess they were going to build a huge display for it but their insurance company wouldn't allow it.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess they were going to build a huge display for it but their insurance company wouldn't allow it.
Probably for the best!
Good luck and have fun with your new job.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh I can just see that alligator chomping somebody's stupid kid who by some miracle managed to get in with it. That was the frustrating thing when I worked at a pet store. We would watch a minivan pull up, five or six kids would hop out, then the van would go across the street to Smith's!!! Like we were free baby-sitting. One stupid girl stuck her finger into a hermit crabs shell, that took an act of genious 8O, another kid thought that hampster could swim in the fish tanks, and that was a disgusting clean-up the next day. Just remember that anything can and will happen at a pet store. But the discount makes it all worth it.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
and now that you work there you have to tell people the right stuff about there fish and how to tanke care of them. don't just try to make a sale, make sure they knwo every thing about it. i have found one fish store in my area and they are so nice and tell me every thing i could want ot know and then some and it is all true from what i have hear on this site and from what i have seen online.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Lol, I work 12-9 so look outside around that time At my interview today I learned they have a 6+ foot alligator in the back so be careful of that I guess they were going to build a huge display for it but their insurance company wouldn't allow it.
Crap, was there up until twelve....not much available in the saltwater section yet since they are redoing it .

All in all TFP is pretty good with the advice they give. They still do little things, like offering damsels for cycling, but I don't see any LFS willing to change that. Almost all of their advice is good, but a lot of course is geared towards using techy products.....I just keep in mind that they do have to make money.

Today I even saw a new LFS worker talking to a guy who wanted to buy the Harlequin shrimp pair. When asked, "what can I feed them other than starfish"...the worker actually said "I don't know, I'll go find out" instead of making something up off the top of his head. I just hope the coral tanks, in both health and selection, improves.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com