Got a job at my LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got a job today at my LFS(thatpetplace) in lancaster PA. I'll just be working there as a second part time job while I finish college. Just thought it would be nice to try and help out some other people in this hobby and work doing something I actually like. I wanted to work in teh fish room but was hired to work in the dry good section and will be crosstraned in a month or to. I"m just worreid that I will get frustrated at some of advice coworkers give customers. Not that I know it all or am an expert by any means but I've heard some employees say some cRaZy stuff while I've been shopping there. Plus, I get a discount!! :D :D

Make sure you tell the customers to come see us if they have any questions you simply get tired of answering!

:p

Biggen said:
Make sure you tell the customers to come see us if they have any questions you simply get tired of answering!

:p

I sure will, I actually thought of making little business cards to hand out! Too bad we don't have a referral reward, bet I could win :wink: , the store does an insane amount of business, it's probably bigger than one of those wal-marts that sells groceries and general merchandise.

Too bad we don't have a referral reward, bet I could win

We had a contest last year where we gave away an RO/DI unit for the most referrals.

Just got a job today at my LFS(thatpetplace) in lancaster PA

Congrats, I did it for about 3 years, it's very frustrating, but hopefully your employer will allow you to advise responsibly with the fish in mind rather than simply their bottom line ;)

HoopsGuru said:
I'll be there tomorrow, slip me a sump out the back door. :wink:

Lol, I work 12-9 so look outside around that time :wink: At my interview today I learned they have a 6+ foot alligator in the back so be careful of that 8O I guess they were going to build a huge display for it but their insurance company wouldn't allow it.

Oh I can just see that alligator chomping somebody's stupid kid who by some miracle managed to get in with it. That was the frustrating thing when I worked at a pet store. We would watch a minivan pull up, five or six kids would hop out, then the van would go across the street to Smith's!!! Like we were free baby-sitting. One stupid girl stuck her finger into a hermit crabs shell, that took an act of genious 8O, another kid thought that hampster could swim in the fish tanks, and that was a disgusting clean-up the next day. Just remember that anything can and will happen at a pet store. But the discount makes it all worth it.

and now that you work there you have to tell people the right stuff about there fish and how to tanke care of them. don't just try to make a sale, make sure they knwo every thing about it. i have found one fish store in my area and they are so nice and tell me every thing i could want ot know and then some and it is all true from what i have hear on this site and from what i have seen online.

Lol, I work 12-9 so look outside around that time At my interview today I learned they have a 6+ foot alligator in the back so be careful of that I guess they were going to build a huge display for it but their insurance company wouldn't allow it.

Crap, was there up until twelve....not much available in the saltwater section yet since they are redoing it :( .

All in all TFP is pretty good with the advice they give. They still do little things, like offering damsels for cycling, but I don't see any LFS willing to change that. Almost all of their advice is good, but a lot of course is geared towards using techy products.....I just keep in mind that they do have to make money.

Today I even saw a new LFS worker talking to a guy who wanted to buy the Harlequin shrimp pair. When asked, "what can I feed them other than starfish"...the worker actually said "I don't know, I'll go find out" instead of making something up off the top of his head. I just hope the coral tanks, in both health and selection, improves.

Yeah, sometimes the corals do look bad, they were real poor today, I think worse than I've ever seen. I got to see the new fish room, all I can say is WOW 8O It is going to be AMAZING when it's done. They are having a huge anniversary sale march 27/28 and they expect the fish room to be done by then. Thee are going to have a ton more LR and fish. They have a huge custom acrylic tank that is about 16 inches deep and probably 20 feet long that I belive will house corals. The skimmers they had were over 6 feet tall and I couldn't even wrap my arms aroudn them. I can't even imagine the amount of money they spend on this. The floor alone I'm told was $8,000 8O I"m so excited to see it!!!

What is wrong with using damsels or chromis for cycling? I used 4 green chromis for cycling my tank and they did great and are still doing great in a 240 gal tank at one of our fire stations. I was told by someone who maintains the tanks at an aquarium at one of the local high schools (this aquaruim is no joke) that they would be great and they were. They were very healthy and still are.

When i was about 7 years old my dad and i would go to "that fish place" as it used to be called. i'll never forget it. after the long drive from Newtown, PA we arrived at the mecca of all fish stores. i remember seeing tanks line the walls for what seemed like miles! I still have a cool teal (laguna seca blue hehe my sig) hat saying that fish place on it. there used to be a little pet department, but was dwarfed by the miles of fish. maybe when i go back east this summer i'll drop by. glad to hear that u'll work there.

off-topic: how much is the actual cost of a 140 gallon oceanic tank (reef ready and oak cabinet) w/ lights?

What is wrong with using damsels or chromis for cycling? I used 4 green chromis for cycling my tank and they did great

During the initial cycle of the tank the ammonia and nitrite reaches toxic levels, for every 1 damsel that does fine through the cycle, 5 die. While in the toxic soup, the fish are weakened and are more susceptible to disease and parasitic infestation. Damsels are mean as hell and most will want to remove them when the cycle is over (not all, but most), this can sometimes prove problematic. The biggest reason though, is it isn't necessary, it is easier and safer and cheaper to cycle with a raw cocktail shrimp, it simply doesn't give you anything to look at during the cycle.

Congrats.. I am sure you will be a great fit there. You have been a great help to me. The only advice I can give you is don't lie and oversimpilify. Let people know about this website. Don' t be the LFS guy that I cannot stand to go to now because I have been told "the bubble coral will do great with just light no need to feed it" I was told the same thing when I called to inquire about a saddle anonome that my wife bought for the clowns. The sad part is that I have seen the bubble that they had beside the one I got.. It has like one bubble left and is wasting away (very sad) It is refreshing to hear someone say "I dont know I will look" or well it really needs this.... Like when I bought my zoos from another store... I was told they might survive on light alone and what they can catch but for just 10 bucks in photoplaynkton they will thrive..(and they have). I know you are under pressure to sell but trust me repeat business from successfull (happy) coustomers will be better in the long run than the quick score and subsequent leaving the hobby.. I know have only one guy in Pittsburgh that I will buy from.. Not store, the employee and I am sure he gets quite a commission from me. :)

I will be out to see you.. turns out we have alot more Pa people in the hobby than I thought, we ought to all get together :D

Doan

Back
Top Bottom