Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2005, 03:34 PM   #1
zacdl

Got a protein skimmer today

Is the foam supposed to be at the bottom of the cup or at the top of the cone thing in the cup?
Old 03-21-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The water will bubble up over the tube in the middle and hit the cap, breaking the foam, causing collection of hopefully nasty looking skimmate in the bottom of the collection cup. The more air the clearer (wet) your skimming is. You can fine tune this a bit so that you're not wasting good water producing the yuck. These are usually VERY fine adjustments with a microturn causing a huge change in the behavior of the skimmer.

HTH!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
zacdl

OK. Since I havent started cycling yet its not collecting anything yet so ill just dump it back in since I think it is going too fast.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't even run it until the cycle is completed.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacdl
OK. Since I havent started cycling yet its not collecting anything yet so ill just dump it back in since I think it is going too fast.
Yep -- you shouldn't be producing any skimmate right now since there is nothing in the water to skim. Like Phyl said, once you've got something to skim out of the water, you'll be able to fine tune it to produce a nice dark cup of yuck.

IMO, no sense running it until your cycle is complete.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, the skimmer will require time to "break in," so don't expect too much out of it in the very beginning.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
zacdl

I mean, even if all i do right now is adjust the bubble flow?
Old 03-21-2005, 05:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacdl
I mean, even if all i do right now is adjust the bubble flow?
No matter what you're going to have to re-adjust it later once you've got some organics in the water to skim out. If you want to fiddle with it now in order to get comfortable with it, I'd probably adjust it so the bubbles rise to the bottom of the cup. The bubbles will stay at that level until there are organics to skim, at which time the bubbles will last long enough before popping that they rise into the collection cup.

The instructions for your skimmer should tell you where to set the bubbles initially.

I'm sticking with my initial suggestion that theres really not much sense in running it right now, though. Save the electricity
Old 03-21-2005, 06:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Save the electricity...and the life of the pump. If its a Rio pump, it's on borrowed time already.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com