Got everything 4 my new tank, sept 4 the animals, help pleas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongeynip

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got all my tank specs fixed up, and now i'm ready to plan on which fish are goin in my aquarium. I have a 30 gal tank which I will later place in anemones and corals. For now, I want to know if my fish and invert selection is a smart choice. Also, if I could get more fish, or downsize my list.

Fish:
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Spotted Mandrin
1 Royal Gramma Basselet
2 Firefish

Crawler Inverts:
1 Emarald Crab
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
2 Scarlet Skunk (Cleaner) Shrimp
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Turbo Snail

Inverts:
1 Saddle Anemone
Various Corals to be determined

Now remember I dont have to get every one of these, just tell me how many should go, or which ones are not compatable with anything else.
Thanx
-Trent

The list looks good so far. What kind of lighting will you be providing the Anemone and corals?

Mike

The general rule is 1'' of adult fish per 5 gallons of water.
that puts you at 6'' of adult fish. Give or take.

I'd pass on the Mandrin in a tank that small, They need tons of LR and live mostly off pods.

a Hawkfish wont mix well with inverts or a Firefish

Good Luck

I'd pass on the Mandrin in a tank that small, They need tons of LR and live mostly off pods.

Yes, I would agree with that as well. I missed it on the list. These can be challenging to keep, even in the best conditions.

Mike

alright, I did a little research on that, and will do that :D . But one last question, will the coral banded shrimp be a problem? Ive heard that they can attack fish or other shrimp, and I dont want that 2 happen :cry:

Keep things well fed and the shrimp shouldn't be an issue.

I also have to agree with the comment about the mandarin. Stepfather's tank has my mandarin as he has plenty of LR. If anything, the mandarin is the healthiest thing in that tank (he's is WAY more active than any other fish.. especially at night). Hopefully I'll be able to get one when mine is established..... you might be able to swap out the mandarin with another true goby, one that hugs the rock similarly would seem preferable such as a clown goby.

Were you looking at red or purple firefish?

I said red to help descern it as a the typical firefish -- not the purple or the other more rare ($100) alternates.

Firefish Goby/Dartfish, Red ($10) - (http://www.marinedepotlive.com/493834.html)
Firefish Goby/Dartfish, Purple ($18) - (http://www.marinedepotlive.com/493894.html)
Firefish Goby/Dartfish, Helfrich's ($179) - (http://www.marinedepotlive.com/hefihe.html)

This is the most peaceful fish I have seen, nor are they nervous (like the goatfish). The do well in groups (contrary to belief) -- but typically better in pairs (4 instead of 3). Will also do fine solo, but appear to enjoy having company. Nothing picks on these fish save for the niger trigger (but he nips at everyone except the angels).

Back
Top Bottom