Got it set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Landy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I set up my saltwater tank, and I put in the sand then put in the rock and its really hard to stack rock, LoL, I'm new to stacking sw lr so give me a break. But its in there, LoL. Then I put some clear up the water in there, cuz it was in the bag with the sand and I put my filter up. So its cycling now.

That filter says it eliminates ammonia nitrites and nitrate I'm like wow, thats great I might get that filter for my fw cuz that would stop the algae. The guy at the fish store wanted me to get rock and 2 different types of netting and carbon which would cost like 40-50 dollars but this should be just as good cuz wut he said this filter already does. Its a penguin bio-wheel btw.

So any help now. In a week I will get my water checked, then slowly add fish.

Wut kind of light/hood should I get, I want cheap.

Thanks.

I`m afraid it`s going to take longer than a week. I would guess it will be 3-5 weeks. Read our article on cycling and it will tell you when the cycle is over. As far as the lighting what type SW tank are you planning on? Reef, FOWLR or FO.

I have cured water in my tank, and the sand I bought says it gets the tank started real quick and the rock is lr. The guy said a week and it'll be ready.

Wut is FOWLR and FO?

And I want to throw some corals in there but that will be down the road cuz they are expensive.

Is floresent good enough?

First of all there is no such thing as cured water. Whoever this guy is knows little about SW aquaria. There is none to very little nitrifying bacteria in the water. Your sand and LR will have to cycle to get the proper amount of nitrifying bacteria on it. Please for the sake of what goes in your tank please read this article

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

FOWLR is Fish Only With Live Rock
FO is Fish Only

Hey Landy, it will be very helpful if you can put your tank specifications so we can help you with what you actually need. For example, what size is your tank and how many lbs of LR and LS and such.

Ok, 10 gallon, 10 lbs of LR, 20 lbs of sand

He took the water right out of there system, which had coral and stuff in it, so its already got a lot of the bacteria on it.

Yes Landy Please read the Article MELOSU is providing for it it will help you with your SW experience.

So your planning on doing a Nano Tank? I think might be a bit much for you if your just starting out. I would try getting a bigger tank.

He took the water right out of there system, which had coral and stuff in it, so its already got a lot of the bacteria on it.

Just to emphasize what others have been saying... no - it doesn't have a lot of bacteria in it. Please read the links noted earlier - the water isn't live, your rock will be. But only after cycling.

Regardless of what someone at a LFS will tell you, nothing good happens quick with SW tanks and starting out on the right foot will go a long way in making sure you have a successful tank.

Back
Top Bottom