Got my first few corals.. few questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Torches need light, a good example of NPS would be tubastrea, or sun coral to give it its common name.

Also gorgians and carnation corals are NPS. I dont know where sponges fall but they're NPS as well

Well, I think the corals brought in parasites with them. Fish have white spots on them now.

I didn't know ich could come with corals but I was reading and it can come attached to the live rock the coral is on.

Should've researched better. I guess I'll be quarantining all corals now too.

Going to raise the heat, soak food in garlic, and get a cleaner shrimp. May invest in a uv sterilizer. Caught it early so it may work.

Since you are buying corals- you may wanna get a coral dip. When you bring them home you mix it with water and let the coral sit in it for 10 minutes. Kills unwanted hitch hikers such as bristle stars, bristle worms, and parasites I believe. This is the one I use...

Attachments

• image-356942667.jpg
    image-356942667.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 97
I use coral rx. I put some of my premixed salt water in a small tupperware container and mix in the rx with the coral and swish it around empty it out and repeat a couple time before putting it in a second bowl with my water in it till I'm done dipping other frags then they go in the tank on the bottom to acclimate to my light

Also you can use quick cure in your tank to remove the Ick. It doesn't have copper in it so it won't kill your inverts but it will cause your corals to close for a few days after the last treatment, if not killing them all together. Just don't skim or run carbon while you treat.

Thanks, I picked up some dip solution at the LFS, pretty straight forward and easy!

Picked up a plate coral and a candy cane coral. I've realized that these are going to take forever to grow into a beautiful reef tank, or it's going to be very expensive to fill the tank up with corals.. lol.

img_1684557_0_c8180a272cca7438215f41eaf6009787.jpg

img_1684557_1_36e5ec640ae1b57ec8191863cfea694d.jpg

Try to bury a piece of rock under the plate coral so that your sand doesn't cover it up or get all over it. The sand will cause the tissue to die off in a heart beat

Sniperhank said:
Well, I may be out of PTO...but I just found my out.

That's exactly what I told my wife...she didn't find it as funny as I did lol

I've seen pictures though and it looks like it'd ruin your day, possibly week. You try it first and let me know how it goes lol.

Try to bury a piece of rock under the plate coral so that your sand doesn't cover it up or get all over it. The sand will cause the tissue to die off in a heart beat

Will do that, thanks a lot for the tip.

I think my next trip to look at corals will just be a site seeing trip. I don't like this looking and picking out what I want not knowing anything about them.

There's just so many different kinds of corals it's hard not impulse buy and it's hard to get what you want (in a small town).

scottayy said:
Will do that, thanks a lot for the tip.

I think my next trip to look at corals will just be a site seeing trip. I don't like this looking and picking out what I want not knowing anything about them.

There's just so many different kinds of corals it's hard not impulse buy and it's hard to get what you want (in a small town).

Sight seeing trips are tough. In the long run it could save you some problems though. Better to know what you want going in and not stray too far from what you had in mind...easier said than done I've found lol.

Don't let them rush you either, I've taken my phone out and done some quick research on the spot. Results of deviating from the plan lol

BallinCrew10 said:
Sight seeing trips are tough. In the long run it could save you some problems though. Better to know what you want going in and not stray too far from what you had in mind...easier said than done I've found lol.

Don't let them rush you either, I've taken my phone out and done some quick research on the spot. Results of deviating from the plan lol

I've done the same with my phone. If your phone isn't Internet capable, most LFS have Internet- just ask them to look it up for you.

I've done the same with my phone. If your phone isn't Internet capable, most LFS have Internet- just ask them to look it up for you.

My phone is, I just don't get service there. Tried it! Going to presearch (pre-research! i just made that word up ;)) and stick to it.

scottayy said:
My phone is, I just don't get service there. Tried it! Going to presearch (pre-research! i just made that word up ;)) and stick to it.

Presearch...I'll roll with it lol.

Just went sight seeing.

Saw 3 I would like. Frogspawn, pipe organ, and bubble tip anemone.

The guy said he will sell me the decent sized pipe organ for $10 because he can't get it to open up. For that cheap I might as well give it a shot after I research it.

The frogspawn is really pretty. And I'd really like to get the bulb/bubble tip anemone because I read clowns are more likely to host them than the condy (and, yes, I know clowns won't always host something, if anything).

Didn't spend any money and have things to research!! :-D

Quick question. The frogspawn (much like the candy cane) appears to be on a thick stalk. How do they grow? Does it grow new stalks or does the stalk split or what?

Frogspawn can be a more difficult one to keep and not a good starter coral. The pipe organ would be better, it has a moderate difficulty soft coral. 10 bucks is the price! As for the bubble nem, you need perfect water/lighting for nems. Any fluctuation and its over. I just killed my condy today accidentally.

People will disagree with me here, but I really like the kenya tree. A star coral is also easy. The downfall is that they are so easy to grow it can become a problem and overtake other things in your tnk, especially the star.

Another note, a closed brain coral is easy to care for. You just have to keep it like...6 inches away from things that it might sting. Mushrooms are also a popular starter...but can outgrow tanks easily among other things.

As I said before, I started off with a kenya tree. Reproduces easy, could be to fast for some. All of the fast reproducers, like star polyp, kenya tree, etc. can be seen as weeds of the sea. If I can get mine to take off, I'm hoping I can trade frags to my lfs for cooler corals.

The next one I get I want to be a Toadstool mushroom. Yet again another bland colored coral. You can easily frag this as well by cutting some of the top and anchoring it to the sand or LR.

And lastly, a zoanthid. These guys have a HUGE variety of colors and given the right conditions, reproduce easily. Like the star polyp, it can overtake neighbors quickly. If you do like them, like I do, keep in mind that you can just cut them back with scissors. I already have a piece of LR in mind for when I get to this step.

A christmas tree coral might also be an ok pick...but bland in color and can sting... all things you will run into often. This is where your research goes and what it is you are looking to do in your tank. I'm far from an expert, but I'll help out as I can. :)

I would disagree about the difficulty of keeping a frogspawn. They're a photosynthetic coral and IME fairly easy to keep. Mine was exposed to some pretty high temps and is making a strong comeback. I would say go for it.

Wow, really? I'd love to have a frogspawn but everything that I've read is that they are hard to care for. Once I get my tank stabilized again I'll have to research further.

Back
Top Bottom