Got my first few corals.. few questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol that I do.
I ordered the 55g reef cleaner package from reefcleaners.org
I'm sure he put in extra in case some were dead on arrival (wasn't the case)
So I have a buttload of snails.
I really like the scattered look they give though, it's kinda cool!

Nice growth especially on that plate coral. And I bet with all those Ceriths you probably never have to clean your glass.

The dwarf ceriths mostly dwell on the rock and sand. Not many glass cleaners but I suppose it does stay relatively clean. I do wipe down the microalgae haze once or twice a week.

Picked up a blue mushroom, duncan, and branching hammer.

img_1705183_0_684b3b7c2ec2b08e4ea0f8513d7e46ba.jpg

img_1705183_1_0802ed33a1f0ca5dbea88a1c4ca53f70.jpg

img_1705183_2_a1fab05f0a81f1187a2f4473a1270fa5.jpg

I think I've wore this thread out. I pretty much know all I need to know for the moment and if I need to know more I'll start separate threads. I don't wanna drag this one out tooo much longer.

Last task is to catch the coral beauty so I can let the DT be fishless for 6 weeks to kill off the ich.

2 chromis are in QT with copper and are doing great.

Awesome pictures, looks like they are doing great, sorry bout your fishies. Take care.

Thanks buffy.

I can't get my darn BTA to eat. The way he has positioned himself I can't get the silversides down to him. Tongs or stabbing stick thingy. Should I reach in there and physically move him somewhere more available or will he come out when he's hungry enough?

I'm not sure if he's eaten in a week because I can't see the fish after I let go of them.

There's no way to reach in the tank and just jiggle the inch of silverside in its tentacle then let go of it for it to eat

Nope, the rocks are positioned too close to the back glass. The tongs fit but not my hand. But then I can't see.

However there's a "cave" in the rocks where I can see his foot and underside. I could probably grab him from under there.

I wouldn't recommend moving the anemone unless you move his rock. If you damage the foot it will die

Agree with above the only way to really pry their foot off effectively is to take the rock their attached to out of the water then doing it

Well, I just hope he doesn't die from not eating. I have tried so hard.
I can see his tentacles, they are still pretty bulb-like. Not long and skinny as if it were hungry.

And.. split!?

scottayy said:
Well, I just hope he doesn't die from not eating. I have tried so hard.
I can see his tentacles, they are still pretty bulb-like. Not long and skinny as if it were hungry.

And.. split!?

Split- as in made clones of itself

BTA's at the store will disappear in the stores tanks under the rocks we give them and come back out a week later but there will be 2 of them. I've never personally seen one split but I have cut one down the middle before to propagate them :p

You can take your powerhead and point it behind the rocks. The BTA will move from there. Don't try feeding it until it is ready to take it on it's own. I mean, when the disc is fully open and all the fingers are out. When you hold a piece of shrimp/silverside to it's tentacle, it will grab it on its own.

Okay, good to know. I got it to eat yesterday. And today he's moving more towards the front.

Finally got a good picture of the guy.

img_1716079_0_d5dff52f14ba5bdd62f97a0190de0c00.jpg

Still can't catch my coral beauty though he's white spec'd all over. Can't start my six weeks fishless until he's out of there.

I think i read a trick where you turn the lights out..have you tried catching him while feeding?

I was able to catch my bicolor dottyback by waiting till the lights went out and removing the piece of LR he was sleeping in. That probably wont work for an angel lol, but you can take a flashlight and shine it at the angel after lights out and it should give you a few seconds to grab him. Good luck.

BallinCrew10 said:
I was able to catch my bicolor dottyback by waiting till the lights went out and removing the piece of LR he was sleeping in. That probably wont work for an angel lol, but you can take a flashlight and shine it at the angel after lights out and it should give you a few seconds to grab him. Good luck.

Yeah! Thats the one

When it looks that good, you should be able to feed it something small like some shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom