Got my first few corals.. few questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think your frogspawn was more expensive because of the nice blue-green coloration. Most frogspawn is green with the white tips. So that price is either right on or a few too high.

Pipe organ coral that I got for $10, not opened up yet.. might not ever. Taking a risk with it.

img_1687859_0_cd5a6bc7498fe23eb7c739a4818f2b0a.jpg

All of your tubipora's calcite tubes appear to be completely vacated; it's essentially an empty skeleton lacking polyps or coral tissue and looks 'dead'; it should not have been sold as live coral. :ermm:

When the polyps are retracted the pipe organ polyps should still be evident: (please excuse the two renegade anthelia polyps)
img_1687859_1_2464346fd2322344c6ad24dfb00f3c18.jpg

All of your tubipora's calcite tubes appear to be completely vacated; it's essentially an empty skeleton lacking polyps or coral tissue and looks 'dead'; it should not have been sold as live coral. :ermm:

When the polyps are retracted the pipe organ polyps should still be evident: (please excuse the two renegade anthelia polyps)
img_1688448_0_2464346fd2322344c6ad24dfb00f3c18.jpg

Well that is unfortunate. If I look down into the tubes I can see white stuff though. Not in all of them, but I'd say 25%. Is there a chance he can come back or do you think it's just a skeleton with no chance?

And if I keep it for a while (just for the vibrant maroon color of the tubes!) will it hurt my water quality?

Sorry about your condy, hank. Any reason you think?

If the white stuff you're seeing is indeed the polyps (and not debris or sand or something), then this coral can make a come back, at least in the form of creating new sections of live coral which has the potential of creating new skeletal calcite structure over the old.

None of the vacated tubes will see regeneration of coral tissue though, but any life polyp will bring with it the potential of creating a new colony.

If the entire thing is dead (which it appears to be in the photo) then it will do fine as a tank decoration and will not adversely affect the tank. It should keep the color as a decoration.

I'm not sure what it is. Not debris though. Maybe calcification? I'll get a better picture inside of it tomorrow.

Thanks carey! Look at me I'm a reefer!

Yeah, my tank wasn't ready for a nem. plain and simple.

I'm interested here. Why not? Bad water parameters? Not enough light? Read a couple other posts of yours in other threads, seem you've come across some bad luck.

I'm not sure what it is. Not debris though. Maybe calcification? I'll get a better picture inside of it tomorrow.

Thanks carey! Look at me I'm a reefer!

Woohooo!!!! Beautiful corals, good luck with them Mr. Reefer :)

I'm interested here. Why not? Bad water parameters? Not enough light? Read a couple other posts of yours in other threads, seem you've come across some bad luck.

nems tend to do better in a well established tank. No matter what we do in the first year of a tank setup the parameters can shift a bit and the tank is still getting itself together. thats why alot of people dont have success with nems so early on.

I had one in my tank the first month In had it setup and ended up returning it. For both its health and my mental well being. lol I always worried about it dying and nuking the tank or eating a fish. Too much worry for me.

I just added a GBT to my tank but it's been set up for over a year now. I wouldn't add one in the beginning ever. It's too much of a risk and like others have said before your tank shifts around chemically a lot within the first year and nems are very delicate to changes. And its really not worth the risk of it dying or getting shredded in your tank.

Side note: if it dies naturally do not pick it up with your hands, nems turn into a pudding consistency after they die and it is best to suck them out with a 1/2"-3/4" hose. This way it removes them without it getting turned up in the water, which would happen if they committed power head suicide or tried picking them out and some of it got caught in the flow. That stuff will nuke your tank.

Everything's doing great so far, even the anemones. The frogspawn is really open and the green star polyp is growing. Plate coral is nice and puffy and the candy cane looking really good.

The pipe organ still hasn't opened or shown any soft coral tissue yet. I'm going to keep it as a decoration until I get my rocks more covered.. and if he opens up in the meantime, cool!

Parameters are the same except calcium which dipped to 420 from 460. I'll probably have to dose that soon. What's a good level to shoot for?

Might pick up some more tomorrow, time permitting.

Thanks.

Do you guys think one of the nems could've took out my bicolor dottyback? Noticed the BTA in the spot where she usually sleeps. However, she was flashing so it could've been ich. It just seems to have moved really fast from flashing to death.

Also I bought a baby cleaner shrimp a week or so ago, haven't seen it since. He is/was 2-3 inches in length. They really good hiders or do you think he could've gotten eaten?

My cleaner messes w/ my BTA all day and night trying to steal his food or just pick at it. I think it's only a matter of time before the BTA gets pissed and eats it

So do you think it was an anemone or ich that killed my bicolor dottyback? Im still treating with raised temp and garlic soaked food. May have to do some freshwater dips or qt with copper treatment.

Dont think you woul have found some of the fish's body if it had died?? Or do you think your CUC took care of it?

Oh I found the body. Laying on the bottom of the tank.. cuc was working on it.

Back
Top Bottom