Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got My New Tank Already In Trouble Feeling Stupid!!!!!!

We did our budget last night and even with our Red Cross Donation I could still get my tank and stand. We found a great deal on a tank and stand combo locally. We also bought crushed coral for the substrate and a Rena canister filter. And 3 pieces of already cured liverock to get started.

But now I'm home and trying to set everything up and its all looking like Greek! I'm in trouble and I need help fast before my husband realizes what I got him into.

Here's the problem.... I rinsed all the crushed coral in a bucket and placed in the tank. Now I'm ready to make the "saltwater." It was recommended that we buy Pacific Coast Marine Mix for this so we did. But the directions on the bag aren't specific enough. How the heck do I know how much of the mix to add to the water? Stupid I know but I'm looking and looking and I can't figure it out.

My tank is 29 gallons. I haven't filled it with any water yet. The bag of marine mix just says 50 gallons Net Wt 14 lbs.

Every book I have says to follow the directions on the bag to make the saltwater but the bag only says....

"Prepare new water in a sparate container. Never mix salt in an aquarium containing animals. Always use clean non-toxic utensils. Heat water to within 1-2 degrees of aquarium temp night before.

If your aquarium requires more than 50% water changes at anytime be sure to prepare the water 24 hours ahead before using. Set specific gravity to 1.020-1.1024.

I have a hydrometer but it doesn't seem right to just mix & test, mix & test till I get it right. How do you figure out how much of the mix to add???

My bucket for mixing batches of salt water is 10Qt. So how much mix should I add to each 10 Qt bucket of water?

OOOhhh if my husband realizes I don't even know how to make the saltwater after spending all this money he will FREAK!

Old 09-03-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I would start with 2 cups of salt, test and see...it is always trial and error to a degree as no salt mix is the same. You should get maybe a small plastic trash can to mix it in and let aerate before adding to the tank. Then keep this container designated for your water change water.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

2 cups for each 10 Qts? Or 2 cups for the whole 29 gallon tank?
Old 09-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
actually, I would say 1 to 1 1/2 cup per 10 quarts. Then work from there.
In your case it would be easier to add more salt than to waste saltwater mix.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

God Bless You Hara I'm off to make my saltwater 8O
Old 09-03-2005, 11:59 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
1.020-1.1024.
8O I hope you mean't 1.020 to 1.024. hehe. 1.1024 is very high.

You will have to test and fill for a bit, until you get your levels right. You can always dilute with freshwater if you make a mistake.

Good luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ricky@3rdshift
I used a 50lb bag for my 55 gallon tank, with 20lbs of sand, and about 35 lbs of live rock my salinity came out just under the max. So I added some fresh water to the tank after removing a few cups and it came down some more.

55 gallon saltwater madness!!!
Work at Petco, , and no I am not responsible for their fish.
Ricky@3rdshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Before you get to much into the tank I would take the CC out and get some type of sand. I know a lot of reefers who used CC years ago and tossed it because it requires regular maintenance and can raise nitrates in your tank when it traps waste.
Like others said get a garbage can and mix the water in that and write down how many cups it takes to get it to the salinity you want for your tank.
Trial and error is the way you have to go with a new set up. In a new tank adding salt to the tank is fine as long as you have no livestock or lr in the tank.

Take things SLOW and read, read and read more..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
just keep pouring salt in until your salinity levels out.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Time to pick up that copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist".
Quote:
just keep pouring salt in until your salinity levels out.
I do not endorse this method. It s never a good idea to do things that are as uncalculated as this. Mix all SW in a seperate container over night.

Tags
eel, tan, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com