Got my Oldcaste sand at HD, how important is LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I decided to switch to a DSB(even though the benefits aren't as great as in a reef tank) while my main tank is empty of fish. The tank is already cycled so I'll take 1/2 my cc out and replace with sand then wait 2 weeks for the bacteria to switch over to the sand then replace the other half so I don't have to hunt someone down to get LS from them. Anyway, how important is LR in a fish only tank, my LFS sells it but it's $6 a lb and my tank is 110G so it would be really expensive for me :(

Depending on what other form of biological filtration you have it is either very important (little or no supplamentary bio-filtration) or not so important (good biological filtration).

Well I guess my biological filtrations would be my bio balls in my wet/dry sump which I belive are supposed to be pretty good biological filtrations. I also have a bunch of other rock that wasn't live, will that have any biological effect on my tank, should I maybe just mix in some live rock with my normal rock and the organisms will spread out?

If you have a trickle filter and have no intention of adding inverts,,,then I would skip it, I would probably use some dry base rock from www.hirocks.com as decoration and maintain water quality via regular water changes.

I actually do have some inverts already, a couple starfish and a cucumber. My decorative rock looks exactly like the rock in the picture you provided.

Back
Top Bottom