Got my tank and is setup. Also some questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

Here are some pics. All I have done is hook up the pump and filter and heater and airpump and light.
I got that wine stand for $25 at Walmart, it looks halfways good (might put some fabric around bottom half so you dont know its a wine thing)
I put this in the corner where our table is so we can watch it while we eat.
There is a plant above it too. I have pics below.

To the Qs...
How should I cycle my tank? The main thing I need to know is how should I get ammonia into it? Can I add some of the chemical ammonia into there or is it not the same thing?
img_364519_0_8eb45e6f16a52519305687f8d90c0999.jpg

img_364519_1_e7d0a36804dcf3e2bbddd794fc929f49.jpg

img_364519_2_0dd2d09a16ed3b0ea4582838786e1b82.jpg

img_364519_3_125765573fd56e2d47955ad9fc8d7271.jpg

Yes.... It should.
It used to be on wheels but we took them off. Now it is even better.
It seems pretty sturdy.

Oh and you can't just cycle a naked tank like that... you need some substrate, or you can cycle with LR... someplace for the good bacteria to live.

What kind of filtration are you going to use?

Zacdl, Try using the search engine for ammonia fishless cycle. There were several threads on this subject. I do remember you have to use a special ammonia. Don't put any in until you are sure you have the right one. I believe it is ammonia without detergent. Wait at least a day and someone with first hand knowledge will reply. There are some very helpful people here.

Well, the filter is already on there you just cant see it well. Its bio/mech/chem

I am also supposed to be getting a protein skimmer in the mail.

I ordered a mag float, sand, thermometer, and a testkit (not the dip strips) today. They said it should be here next week.

I'd say once the sand is in & the filter is running you can start the fishless cycle as described in the article I referenced above. Don't run the skimmer during the cycle, & be sure to test regularly so you can keep tabs on the progression.

Why not run the skimmer?

When I asked about something else earlier on a differant thread (cant remember when or what) they said I should run it during the cycle.

Now you guys are contradicting yourselves.

I'm sure someone else will chime in on this, and I know this is a matter of differing opinion, however my understanding is this: since you're trying to build up ammonia in order to encourage the growth of bacteria, you wouldn't want to remove proteins / etc which will eventually degrade into ammonia.

If you remove the bacteria's "food" by skimming, they have less to eat & will not grow as fast.

Others will say that running the skimmer does not slow down the cycle, but that's very counterintuitive to me.

Back
Top Bottom