Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
zacdl

Got my testkit, thermometer, and mag float today.

I got a Seachem Marine Basic test kit, one of those stick on thermometers, and a mag float for the 30 gallon size today in the mail from Drs Foster Smith. The sand I ordered will be here tomorrow (They shipped seperate boxes) I got Aragamax 30 pounds.

That candy thermometer ive been using temperarily I guess was wrong, This new thermometer shows it about 5 degrees lower. I tweaked it a bit to get it up to 78.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll probably need another 30lbs of sand to get a proper depth.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
zacdl

Actually I used that formula to calculate the depth out.
Being it is a hex, it will be slightly deeper, but when I was looking at 25 lbs, it would be right at 2" deep. Plus a little more since it is hex and not square. I am not getting 30 lbs, so it will be even more yet. I dont think I want a DSB.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
zacdl

OK I tested my water.
Day 1- Most everything at 0. SG is 1.024, PH 8.4, Alkalinity 8meq/L

Does that look fine so far?
Old 03-23-2005, 05:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like your alk is borderline low. You want to shoot between 9 & 11. Is your tank already cycled? If no then don't worry about the ca/alk numbers until your other parameters start to move. I'd test ammo until you started to get a reading and then test ammo & trite until ammo 0s out and then test trite and trate until trite zeros out. Occassionally doing all three is ok but no point in wasting kit on cycle time. You really just want to know when the spikes happen to ensure that they do happen. Once your tank has been cycled for 2w and you're ready to add fish then test for pH and Alk so that you can make sure your system is ready for fish (though a large water change to clear the tank of trates is customary and will probably reset your pH/Alk/Ca balance).

Expect a clouding to occur while the ammo eating bacteria build and then expect a diatom bloom towards the end of your cycle. Once the diatoms pass you're usually pretty well through the cycle.

Good luck!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
zacdl

NO i havent even started it (tomorrow i will)
Old 03-23-2005, 10:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Expect a clouding to occur while the ammo eating bacteria build and then expect a diatom bloom towards the end of your cycle. Once the diatoms pass you're usually pretty well through the cycle.
Well said. I had two diatom blooms. Snails and hermits help, but it seems to have burned out, although there is still s bit on the sand in spots.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:38 AM   #8
zacdl

I am planning on one of the first things I am doing is getting one of those algea attack packs before getting a lot of other things.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I am planning on one of the first things I am doing is getting one of those algea attack packs before getting a lot of other things.
Don't forget that they need algae to eat. If you get too many before you have algae, they'll starve if you don't feed them. I added my first few snails and hermits a few at a time from the LFS, then I added a group of them onto an order for other items (corals).

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermometer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com