Got some stuff & don't know what to do with it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeGabri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in the process of establishing a reef aquarium in a 55 gallon tank that is not drilled. I bought the tank, a Marineland Tidepool2 sump & a Pro-Series 300 protein skimmer (among LOTS of other things) from s LFS, dirt-cheap, just before they went out of business. My plan was to start off slowly & small, but I simply couldn't pass up the deal I got on the skimmer & sump... even knowing that they were bigger than necessary for this size tank. Right now, I'm running a Penguin 350 filter and 2 maxi-jet 1200 powerheads, while waiting for the tank to cycle. I hope to host a few fish, some inverts & soft corals. Does anyone know what I need to complete the sump & skimmer filtration system? And... should I remove the Penguin 350 after I get the skimmer up & running? I would SO appreciate any help... I'm nearly an hour from the next nearest LFS :facepalm:

A 55 is a great size for SW! I think that's better than a smaller tank b/c your mistakes won't have such a big impact. It's best to have a skimmer rated up to twice your tank size. And a larger sump is good b/c the skimmer is prob. larger. Thinking of doing a refugium since it seems like you have the extra space? I'm not the greatest w/ plumbing and my setup has abnormal plumbing b/c I used more flexible tubing rather than mostly PVC. Try looking up some ideas on connecting the sump to the DT on google or youtube or people would be glad to help you on that. Best advice is to RESEARCH! It will save you money, work, and headaches. Welcome to the world of saltwater! Addicting yet very rewarding :D

You won't need the filter at all. While you cycle you tank, you don't want your skimmer on either. Both of those remove the proteins before they turn into ammonia which you need for the cycle.
Once you've finished the cycle and start adding fish then you need to turn on the skimmer. It might take 1-2 weeks to break in and start producing skimmate. That's normal.
Save your filter for your quarantine tank. If it has a bio filter, drop that into your sump to get BB to grow on it for when you may need it.

If you're going to run a sump, you don't need the filter too. If not doing a sump, then run the filter during cycle so that BB can build inside the filter during cycle.

Thanks, guys, for the replies... probably not the first or last mistake I'll make as I learn lots new everyday :) I've removed the filter & won't run the skimmer until the tank has cycled.

Back
Top Bottom