Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Most coral have little to no effect on bio-load. Some people choose to feed their LPS or softies meaty foods, in which case the left over food is more of a bio impact then the coral, but its still there.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

good to know that it wont affect the tank much, how fast do they grow though? I have seen in some LFS little tiny frags maybe the size of a quater some even smaller.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Depends on the species. Typically the lower the price, the faster it grows :p

Your soft corals like zoanthids, xenia, and clove polyps will usually grow the fastest.
LPS like acans, and duncans are a little slower.
SPS like acro's are usually the slowest.

That being said, there are always things that break the rules. Chalices will usually grow superrrrr sloowww, but some SPS like orange cap and birdsnest will grow super fast.

This all is dependent on how ideal your tank water is and your lighting setup as well.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

so those ones about the size of a quater could grow to be large corals at a fairly good pace then?
Old 09-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
All coral are going to grow at a different rate. It will depend on not only the coral but the tank conditions as well. As a really general ball park figure you could expect the quarter sized coral to become about tennis ball sized in somewhere around 6-7 months. This is assuming it is a moderatly fast growing coral under optimal water/lighting/feeding conditions for that specimin.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok another question I was looking through some online stores and some sell reef plugs to but frags of corals on and they look exactly like what some LFS sell, they also mentioned pre drilling some 1/2" holes into your LR to make for future frags.

So I was just thinking before I go ahead and get the LR into the tank and aquascape the tank should I take the time to drill a few holes for future rock? Or is that going to harm the LR to much.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
No it won't do anything to your LR at all. I drilled mine to help me aquascape. I would suggest putting all your rocks where you want them and then take the pieces that are on top and drill some holes where you think you would like to have coral.

If you try and drill some pieces before hand then it will make it very difficult to place your rock with those pieces on top. They just have to kind of fit and you make the best of it.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:32 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

what did you use to drill it?

Im an electrician so I have hammer drills and some mansonary bits but never drilled into a natural rock before, mostly just concrete and red brick.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, you are really getting ahead of yourself. Do you have a liquid test kit? You mentioned a month for cycling....Not so...It all depends on how fast your bio-system can convert Ammonia to nitrites to nitrates and the only way to know this is to test your water. Read up on cycling and get more information on it.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

the tank isnt even setup yet I just want to have the understanding of the whole setup before I start anything.

And it will be a month of cycling just due to work constraints I wont be able to do much other than get the sand in and have the LR setup I have a fresh water test kit right now from my FW setup but I will be adding to it with a SW kit and Reef kit before I start the cycle.

Once I get the sand and LR setup I might be able to add a CUC but fish wont be able till probably Mid Nov early Dec.

But like i said I want to know what to expect what to do for prep and what to expect in the first month, 3 months, a year down the road so im caught off guard about something that might pop up. Finding out how to get my LR ready seems like a pretty good start since it would be easier to do during the cycle than later on.

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com