Got the setup but need the help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All I'm saying is everything depends on your test kit. In a saltwater setup you have to test or you will endup wasting time, money alnd aquadic life. This is not like FW where ph is at or below 7.0. When the water becomes alkaline Ammonia goes rampid. In FW ammonia is turned into ammonium which is far less deadly to fish and the like. Don't be like so many people that run to the LFS and bring home fish that die in short order. A saltwater Aquarist is person you knows he has to test his water and not depend on anyone else. Isn''t that what you said in your opening statement...That you wanted more out of the hobby!

oh im well aware that the water has to be much more stable than FW tanks and I will be testing it as much as I can but I wont be able to stock it much because of work the LFS here (that has the best selection and great staff) isnt open on sundays which is normally the only day I get off, they also have a lot of captive bred fish which I like over wild caught ones, and they grow a lot of there own corals in the store which again I like. Thats the only reason its going to be some time before I can stock the tank with fish and coral etc.

Okay, as long as you know that it might take longer then a month. It all depends when your system is ready. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, nitrates raising...It's also good for you to get a test kit just to practice doing the test.

Oh yes im well aware it could take more than month or it could be quicker it all depends on how the rock is, how the sand is, local water etc. I just know that im not in any rush to get it cycled and the fish in ASAP if it takes a month so be it if it takes 2 months thats ok I would rather spend the time waiting then to end up with 100$ of dead fish because I rushed.

That is so correct. all the more reason to test because once your tank cycles you will have to continue to give it an ammonia source as in a pinch of fish food or something of that nature or you will be back to square one and have to cycle the tank again. Aso remember that your tank is only cycled to the amount of ammonia that it was fed. So if you get a quick cycle that could mean a very light ammonia bioload. So the main thing I'm saying is go slow..

So one small question about the cycle with Raw Shrimp, my question is does it matter if its fresh or frozen? is one better than the other? Only ask because the wife likes to get fresh jumbo shrimp from the store once and while to treat her self and if thats the case I might just pick one up for a treat for my tank.

Does not make a difference. For your size tank one regular size shrimp would be enough. Or half a jumbo and eat the other half.

Last edited:
yes yes you are doing extremely well on looking up info before this all starts and will lead to major relief later on in your tanks life

but please when you start this put up a thread here, and add plenty of pictures, people will love it and if i had known and had the money when i started my tank i wouldve gotten then RSM130D in a heartbeat, so much nicer than my tank

actually picked up the RSM130D from someone who had bought it and not even cycled it once before they upgraded to the RSM250, So I got the whole tank almost brand new for less than half price of it.

Tank had water in it once but no salt, sand etc. the filters are still in there package even so I was pretty happy when we found it for such a good price.

Back
Top Bottom