Got the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, it's official. I bought the 75 gal off eBay today. I will be picking it up next week. It is an Oceanic with tank, top, stand, canopy, and standard lighting (which I guess I won't be using) in Cherry Oak. It ended up costing me $405 because of some overzealous bidders. Don't you hate those people that just keep driving the price up but never actually buy anything :x . Still, the lfs which usually has good prices on Oceanic setups is selling them for $675.

Anyway, I guess this marks the beginning of my SW journey. This is going to be a long process because (1) I want to do it right and (2) because doing it right is never cheap. So, I will definitely be picking your brains for info and advice over the coming months while I bring everything together.

I don't want to bite off more than I can chew but I do think I eventually want to end up with a reef. To start though it will be FOWLR and I will build from there.

PS Thanks to all of you who take the time to pick up a camera and post pictures of your setups - they are definitely inspiring.

Thats great!! Welcome to the community of SW maniacs!!
Let us know if we can help, we are here for you. :)

OK, the lighting scenarios are making me dizzy. I guess first I need to decide what will be in my tank and then decide what type of lighting I will need. No where near making that decision 8O .

My question is, will I be starting from scratch or can I use/salvage any part of the strip lighting that comes with the tank? What are the basics of retrofitting?

Cool, sounds like your well on your way :multi:

You can use the standard lights for FOWLR. You may want to change the bulbs if there just freshwater daylight types. Go with some 10ks and acitinics. Or if its only 1, or 2 bulbs use 50/50.

I know what you mean, The lighting expense is killing me. You can use your standard hood till you start getting corals and anenomes and such. From what I hear Live rock does fine, and most fish do fine. You will wanna replace the bulbs with 50/50 probibly, but someone else will have a better Idea.

Good price on the tank BTW

Sounds like you have a great understanding on how being patient is very important.

Weed through all the info you read and receive and make educated choices.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom