Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to GatorDrew
GPH & Lighting - Good enough?

I have a 90 G tank. Right now I have a wet/dry... but a sump/fuge is in progress

Here it is:

Pumps / Powerheads

Surge 7500
Return Pump
1070 gph

Rio 1700
Protein Skimmer
625 gph

Maxi-Jet MP600
Power Head
160 gph

Sealife Systems

Coralife 48"
2-65 watt 10,000K Daylight & 2-65 watt 03 Blue Actinic Compact Fluorescent Lamps, 2 built in ballasts, 3-3/4 watt Lunar Blue Moon Glow LED Lamps , 2 cooling fans

Lunar Lights

I think my lighting is good for a reef tank (soft corals, etc). What about my water turn over?

I'm thinking about adding another power head in the middle of the tank. Would it be worth it? If so, any recommendations?

GatorDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Your lighting will be OK for soft corals and LPS corals. Your flow looks good to me but you`ll have to be the ultimate judge as you watch your corals in the flow.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
If your skimmer is in the sump then the gph from it shouldn't be added. Your Surge 7500 pump is rated at 1070 gph with a 0 head but with a 4 ft head it's closer to 850 gph and with your MJ at 160 gph you total at 1010 gph or about a 11 times turnover on the tank per hour which is barely enough flow IMO.

As Mike said though only you will know for sure if you're meeting your coral needs with regard to flow.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

gph, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com