GPH & Lighting - Good enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GatorDrew

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 90 G tank. Right now I have a wet/dry... but a sump/fuge is in progress :)

Here it is:

Pumps / Powerheads

Surge 7500
Return Pump
1070 gph

Rio 1700
Protein Skimmer
625 gph

Maxi-Jet MP600
Power Head
160 gph

Skimmer

Sealife Systems

Lighting

Coralife 48"
2-65 watt 10,000K Daylight & 2-65 watt 03 Blue Actinic Compact Fluorescent Lamps, 2 built in ballasts, 3-3/4 watt Lunar Blue Moon Glow LED Lamps , 2 cooling fans

Lunar Lights

I think my lighting is good for a reef tank (soft corals, etc). What about my water turn over?

I'm thinking about adding another power head in the middle of the tank. Would it be worth it? If so, any recommendations?

Your lighting will be OK for soft corals and LPS corals. Your flow looks good to me but you`ll have to be the ultimate judge as you watch your corals in the flow.

If your skimmer is in the sump then the gph from it shouldn't be added. Your Surge 7500 pump is rated at 1070 gph with a 0 head but with a 4 ft head it's closer to 850 gph and with your MJ at 160 gph you total at 1010 gph or about a 11 times turnover on the tank per hour which is barely enough flow IMO.

As Mike said though only you will know for sure if you're meeting your coral needs with regard to flow.

Back
Top Bottom