Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2005, 12:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Gravel options

Hi all,

I'm converting my 55 gal FW tank to a Saltwater FOWLR tank. Eventually I'd like to look into raising corals or other inverts, but for rifght now I'm starting slow. I have a 4" bed of fine gravel in the tank now. I'ts not as fine as play sand but not that far removed. I was wondering if I can leave this gravel in the tank or should I replace it? Are there bacteria in a FW tank that are harmful to a saltwater environment? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Gravel options

Hi all,

I'm converting my 55 gal FW tank to a Saltwater FOWLR tank. Eventually I'd like to look into raising corals or other inverts, but for rifght now I'm starting slow. I have a 4" bed of fine gravel in the tank now. I'ts not as fine as play sand but not that far removed. I was wondering if I can leave this gravel in the tank or should I replace it? Are there bacteria in a FW tank that are harmful to a saltwater environment? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hate it when nobody responds to my questions, so I'll try to be the 1st to answer yours.

If it were me, I'd dump the gravel for a DSB, _if_ you can get the cheap HD tropical sand.

The majority here are hands down for sand over coral.

Mike
120 g FOWLR, Pro Clear 200 19 gal. sump (bio balls removed), 50# Walt Smith FiJi LR, 150# reefersrock base, 300# DSB, Iwaki MD 20 return, (2) Rio 600s, (2) Hagen 802s, Amiracle Quad II skimmer, (2) Coralife 4 X 65s, 2 Lebo moonlights, (2) 120 mm vent. fans,

(2) Perc. Clowns, (1) Yellow Tang, (1) cleaner shrimp, (2) Henis, pending: Foxace Lo, Flame Angel, blue legs, scarlets, 4 emerald crabs, nassarius snails, 50 mexican turbos, (1) good bankruptcy attorney when this hobby blows out of control!
spinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would replace it with an agranite sandbed. Not saying you can't use the gravel so long as it's cleaned well but it's not gonna have the ph buffering capabilities of an agranite sand or crushed coral bed.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you for your help. Argonite sounds like a good option. I heard crushed coral is no good. Someone told me that over time as detrius builds up, the coral will release toxins back into the water. Is there any truth to that? Thank you again for your help!
Old 09-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, with the crushed coral, more maintenance is involved due to the need to vacuum. You don't have to worry about that with the sand. Do you mean the crushed coral releasing toxins? Never heard of that but they will harbor wastes and cause higher nitrates to be present in the tank.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pelochas Send a message via Yahoo to pelochas
i agreee but i cant find the home depot tropical play sand here in houston, tx. anyone have any luck in texas?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
maybe releasing the nutrients back into the water is the concern.. like PO4 and nitrogen from decomposing waste?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I merged your two topics to keep all the responses in one place.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you all for your help. I am able to get some playsand from home depot, so I think I will try that. I had heard that because of the make up of crushed coral that toxic bacteria and detrius build up deep withing the sand bed and overtime the excess will release back into your tank.

How deep should I go with the sand that I add? Is 4" enough?

Again, thank you all so much for your help. It is truly appreciated.

Tags
gravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com