Gravel options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yippyyae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I'm converting my 55 gal FW tank to a Saltwater FOWLR tank. Eventually I'd like to look into raising corals or other inverts, but for rifght now I'm starting slow. I have a 4" bed of fine gravel in the tank now. I'ts not as fine as play sand but not that far removed. I was wondering if I can leave this gravel in the tank or should I replace it? Are there bacteria in a FW tank that are harmful to a saltwater environment? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

I'm converting my 55 gal FW tank to a Saltwater FOWLR tank. Eventually I'd like to look into raising corals or other inverts, but for rifght now I'm starting slow. I have a 4" bed of fine gravel in the tank now. I'ts not as fine as play sand but not that far removed. I was wondering if I can leave this gravel in the tank or should I replace it? Are there bacteria in a FW tank that are harmful to a saltwater environment? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I hate it when nobody responds to my questions, so I'll try to be the 1st to answer yours.

If it were me, I'd dump the gravel for a DSB, _if_ you can get the cheap HD tropical sand.

The majority here are hands down for sand over coral.

Mike

I would replace it with an agranite sandbed. Not saying you can't use the gravel so long as it's cleaned well but it's not gonna have the ph buffering capabilities of an agranite sand or crushed coral bed.

Thank you for your help. Argonite sounds like a good option. I heard crushed coral is no good. Someone told me that over time as detrius builds up, the coral will release toxins back into the water. Is there any truth to that? Thank you again for your help! :D

Well, with the crushed coral, more maintenance is involved due to the need to vacuum. You don't have to worry about that with the sand. Do you mean the crushed coral releasing toxins? Never heard of that but they will harbor wastes and cause higher nitrates to be present in the tank.

i agreee but i cant find the home depot tropical play sand here in houston, tx. anyone have any luck in texas?

I merged your two topics to keep all the responses in one place.

Thank you all for your help. I am able to get some playsand from home depot, so I think I will try that. I had heard that because of the make up of crushed coral that toxic bacteria and detrius build up deep withing the sand bed and overtime the excess will release back into your tank.

How deep should I go with the sand that I add? Is 4" enough?

Again, thank you all so much for your help. It is truly appreciated.

agreed with Fluff..
but if your trying to use the sand bed as a filter.. such as in DSB 6" seems to be the min.. but it sounds like your trying to avoid that method..

Back
Top Bottom