Great Another Problem .....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so here is whats up now .... everything has been going good so far and my clown is doin good but the second one i decided to get died within 24 hours and i did a 2 hour drip acclimation and my water is perfect even had the LFS test it and said it was good but what makes me mad is they didnt have any guarntee on their SW fish and i didnt know that ..... just thought id let you all know about that deliema but this is why i really made this post .... today i finally decided to just open up my brand new CSS coralife skimmer 65 and see if it would fit on my tank cause i knew it would be close cause the wall behind my tank is pretty close cause i forgot about the skimmer when i set it up ...... well needless to say i got it all out and got it together and it was def to big and would not fit ..... i thought about mounting it on the side but my coralife lighting legs and phs on each side keep me from doing that ..... one other thing that has been bother me is the metal stand it is on and it seems kinda sketchy even though i know it probably holds it well ..... here is the solution i am thinking of ...... get a new wood stand since i want one anyway .. drain some of the water .... lift up the tank a bit and move out a tad ... remove old stand and put in new one ..... is this idea stupid or would it work? .... is there a better way i could go about this or another solution where i can use this skimmer .... TIA

Ray

Its also ok in a sump,but I imagine if tou had one you wouldnt be asking .

I imagine others will dissagree but this is what I would do:
Drain the water into suitable container (think rubermaid) if you must move the rock to keep it from drying put in in the transfer water.Take the level as low as possible and move the tank AND stand foward a few inches.Of coarse you will need some help.

My thinking is the low weight (by comparison) should not over stress the tank,and if it stays on the stank the weight will stay evenly distributed though out the side bottoms as it should be...no problems that I can see and its worked wonderfully for me in the past.

Just refill and play with the new toy....great skimmer I tell ya.

I would empty the tank completely if you are going to move it and place all the LR in a rubbermaid container and your fish in another. Don't feed the fish a couple of days before unless it is going to be quick.

The Coralife Skimmer is big, no question. I saw a great thread where someone modified it. Basically they attached PVC and ran the skimmer box to the opposite side of the tank and raised it up. It is much easier on the eye if you modify it. A sump is probably your best bet. I just sold mine on Ebay and bought a Bak Pak 2 because it is much smaller for my 30 gal.

I gave that thread a bump in the main SW forum,started by me as it were asking if I got it right and for suggestions....no doubt its a great modification.

I had a Coralife skimmer fit problem too. I sent the skimmer back and bought a sump-wet/dry. MUCH better, got everything out of the tank and into the sump where it belongs. No need for a new stand.

My display tank looks rather uncluttered now. The overflow box and one visible ph is all that you can see. (other ph is behind the rocks & low, it shoots water between the rocks and the back glass)

skimmers????

Can't say i"m a BIG fan of the skimmers,i have read time and time again how they take the goods out of your tank! if you have enough filtration and movement ,keep up the water changes and watch the H2o alls well. Too much science can ruin the whole natural experience.

i have read time and time again how they take the goods out of your tank!

I don't know about that. Most if not all the experienced saltwater hobbyists here encourage ample LR and a good skimmer?

Typically skimming is a good thing. There have been discussions about "over skimming" that play with the point that if your skimming too much out of the water you could be removing beneficial nutrients. However for the average hobbyist I don't think you have to worry about reaching that level of efficiency with a properly sized skimmer.

A skimmer is designed to remove heavy proteins and nutrients from the water. These are the bits, for example, that typically make up that "film" you can see on top of your tank if you don't have enough surface water movement. To that end, skimming is a good thing and can help keep your tank running with good levels of oxygen and little to no algae.

Back
Top Bottom