Great deals on lighting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CountZero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, after much sweating trying to decide what lighting to get, where to get it, and in what form to get it... (This was the most agonizing part of setting up my reef tank)

I found a great person to deal with. www.petsupplyliquidator.com

I e-mailed him and asked for an item he did not have listed, and they put together a retrofit kit for me that was very affordable.

60 inch X 10 inch 4 X 96 watt retro

2-10k

2-actinic

2- ballasts

total was only 244.99 and that included the shipping.

Now I just hope its enough. I don't intend on putting any really light demanding species but if that changes, I can always toss in a couple MH fixtures I guess.

Just wanted to share this with any of you that may be experiencing "ELA" (extreme lighting anxiety) :lol:

Have you received the fixture yet?

I have been hearing some horror stories lately about the company you linked.

No, I have not received it yet... Boy I hope I dont have problems with this guy, I paid him saturday and today he emailed me the tracking # for the item so hopefully he will send it. Would you be so kind as to share some of the horror story's or atleast give me a general idea of the complaints?
Thanks
Zero

PSL changed owners and i guess the new owners have been slipping a little lately. Keep us posted.

It seems as though something happened within the last week or so over there as something changed... I had problems with them never answering emails and such but they finally answered one of them... I havent had a problem with the lights it was just the customer service I had a problem with.. But that seemed to have gotten fixed within the last month.. Hope everything works out great..

James

Well, Now I am scared... I hope I just didnt throw away a couple hundred bucks... But sacramento is only a couple hours away, so if he does do me wrong, He will find one PO'ed 6'+ bald, tattooed freak beating on his door :)
Sometimes it pays to look scary :twisted:

Zero

Ok, Here is an update. Everyone needs a good laugh and this should help.

Weds. I received my order, Or shall I say Part of my order. I received two flat pieces of sheet steel reflector 30"(about) in length and 10 inches long and Two 10K PC bulbs... Thats it... No Ballasts, No wiring, No Actinics. I was able to locate a phone # (actually printed on the UPS shipping label ) and called them. The guy that answered the phone was very apologetic and promised to take care of it.

Friday afternoon. I receive another package. Quick turnaround I think to myself, alright! I can get my unit put together this weekend! Inside the box is a huge heatsink containing two ballasts (Actually pretty well put together) with the connectors and three 10K bulbs... Still not actinics! Heheh. Well, at this point I am just like WTF! It even has written on the outside of the box on the shipping label "Two ACT bulbs"....

I call the phone # again, Get the same guy, and explain what I received today. He apologized and promises to send out the actinic bulbs today and to just go ahead and keep the extra 3 10K bulbs....

Well, now I have the reflector, the ballast and cables, and 5 10K 96W bulbs for around $244.00. I guess that even if I dont get the actinics at this point I made out ok, as dont these 10K 96Watt PC bulbs cost around 50 bucks? :lol: Well, what are you gonna do I guess.

Its been a pain in the butt, but I will give this guy credit for at least trying to take care of the problem. I will let you know how things progress... Maybe the ballasts wont work :roll: Im gonna try and set everything up when I wake up tomorrow and see what happens.

Zero

Well my experience was about the same with them.. I ended up with about 6 extra bulbs for no cost.. It was kind of nice but they were able to Finally get me the Actinic bulbs..

James

Im gonna try and set everything up when I wake up tomorrow and see what happens.

Let us know how it goes...and take pics. Might be nice for a step by step with visuals in the DIY section on a retrokit ;)

I just purchased my lights from this mplace and they are being shipped. Bought a 2x96 watt pc retrofit kit for 115 including shipping and bulbs!!

Hope it works out,
Josh

Back
Top Bottom