Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2004, 12:35 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
little later there xxfirefighter, I bought the rock back in august.

I did have a noticeable cycle, but it didn't last more than a few days.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 12:38 AM   #22
drm
Aquarium Advice Regular

HI all. This is my first post. I've been reading and observing everyone for the past couple of months. (No fish yet).
I ordered gulf rock (looks like his pictures) from liverocks.com and received the order last Friday. My tank is 30 gal, running for the past 2 1/2 months. I added my 30# of beautiful live rock from liverocks.com to another 15-20# of rock out of an established tank. The old rock had lots of coraline algae but not much else.
However, I have had a definite die-off from my liverocks order. Ammonia is spiking and I am doing 20% water changes every day. Saw a c. pod dead today, which is a good thing. Things are looking a little "weathered" but OK, I guess.
Liverock is on a 2 1/2 inch sand bed. I guess I wasn't as lucky as you... :|

Old 11-10-2004, 12:40 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
ya i didn't realize it till after...
i hate when that happens...
I just in too soon to help peeps !
Old 11-10-2004, 10:51 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
welcome aboard drm!

amonia spikes and dieoff are normal. be sure to use your powerheads to blow excess sand off of your rocks daily so you don't loose any more coraline algea than nessicary.

I added a small piece of shrimp to start the cycle with, but it may not be needed in your case. Take daily readings and let us know if you have any questions.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:26 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am fairly new to the whole saltwater game however I have read here alot of people are suggesting adding a dead shrimp after the live rock has been added. I have read elsewhere this is pointless as the ammonia spike caused can kill off alot of what the live rock provides in the first place. I was told to do the shrimp bit with your base rock and after the cycle add your live rock.

Any clarification here.....

Tags
eat, live, live rock, pics, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com