Green algae on sides of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seajay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 25 gallon nanocube with a clownfish and a firefish as well as about 13 pounds of LR as well as snails and blue leg hermits. My tank has been setup for almost three months now with no problems at all. Recently the sides of the tank are becoming full of green algae. It almost looks like a light coat of paint. The snails are very active however they can't seem to take care of this stuff. It is very hard to clean off. Is there a type of solution I can add to the water to resolve this problem? All of my basic levels (amm, ph, nitrite, nitrate) have been excellent. I have not tested for anything else. I run the light about 10 hours per day.

Thanks so much.

Chris

Get an algae scraper to make quick wirk of it. Either the magnetic type or handled scraper will work.

I had the same problem with my 55 which is also 3 mos old. I put in turbos, hernits and a lawnmower blenny. I also cut my lights back to 5 hours a day and it has gotten much better. Just started extending the lighting now to see how it goes.

--Liz

Algae issue

Will this always be a problem or is there an additive I can put in the tank to help eliminate the issue and improve the overall clarity of the tank?

Thanks for your replies.

Chris

*sigh*

People and additives...

I dont want to be rude, but you got a fish tank and you have to do husbandry on it. Most hobbiest love to do tank husbandry. While tanks are pretty to have, they take a lot of time to care for.

There is not an additive that you can use to avoid algae in a fish tank. The lights cause algae growth, not to mention the food you put into the tank for the fish.

Go buy a clean up crew and a mag-float. The clean up crew will eat most algae and what is left on the glass you can usually just brush off with the mag-float. You dont even have to get your hands wet. :mrgreen:

The clean up crew I recommend should be turbo snails, bubble bee snails, red-legged hermits and some other hermits, a sand stifting star fish, a lawn mower blenny and maybe an emerald crab. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom