Green BTA? (update: Pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ive taken rock work apart to have the BTA looking out and they just move into the rocks again! when I drop food in the clarki feeds the anenome first, but with all my fish in the tank being pigs, they take it away! i have to sit there for an hour and a half or more to guard the anenome :lol:

BTW nice pics

JMO of course but yeah, I think it is on the small side. Ranther it's "to" small, I can't say. It may be ok. I just wanted to mention it just in case. The anemone in my pic is about the size of a silver dollar and the clown is at least three inches long so, huge difference there.

Phyl said:
When the maroon lays in the anemone, the diameter is close to her body length (maybe a little bigger). Is she too big for it? It may well be trying to escape her, if that's the case.
I agree with Fluff, the clown is far too large for the size of the anemone. Unfortunately many clown species are quite rough in their play within their host and can often cause sizable damage and irritation. I don't see a happy ending 8O

Cheers
Steve

*GASP* That's a bad thing... I don't see being able to get it out of the tank right now either. It is firmly planted at the back of my tank to two of my foundation rocks. I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best, unless you have a better idea...

Take some aquarium tongs, a cube of ice, and some electrical tape. Use a nice chunk of ice, tape it inside the tongs really well and move quickly. Hold the ice near the anemones foot and he should let go in under 2 min or so and be free floating. I have done this 2 times. The first took about 5 tries to get the right sized piece of ice, but the 2nd time was a one shot collection. Best of luck.

Sounds like a great way to get them to move. There's quite a bit of current under there so once he starts moving he should blow right out.

What's interesting is that my clown has cleared all of the sand away from the bottom where he's resting near and I can see him if I look up through the bottom from just over my sump (don't try this at home. It takes being a bit of a contortionist). My fuge light is on 24/7 and I half wonder if that little bit of pathetic light isn't enticing him to hang out down there.

He actually looks pretty good though I can see that he's contracting and expanding (sometimes he looks pretty big and others he looks really tiny). They don't cycle like corals, right? They stay inflated until the expel waste? His color is still a rather pukey white color (where oh where is that beautiful bright green that Dr. Mac promised me?!).

I just wish I had a better view of his tentacles and mouth so that I knew how he was doing.

What are the signs that the clown is loving it too much?

Phyl, I didn't mean to worry you, just wanted to give you a head up just in case. The anemone I have, the damage was done when I got it so I didn't get to watch the decline/behavior. The anemone was to the point that it was no longer even extending it's tentacles (as you can see in the pic, it looks like it only has a few) but the clown was still giving it a beating. Here is a pic of it almost three weeks later (today). It's in a different tank and is improving a great deal. It's still extremely bleached but, it's coming along much better than I could have hoped. (let me throw out a thank you to Steve here :D ) Pretty soon I may even be able to figure out what type of anemone it is. I'm thinking bubbletip since today it has it's tentacles all blown up. So, I guess, one of the signs would be that it's not inflating as much. And loss of color.

Back
Top Bottom