Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2005, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Green BTA? (update: Pics)

I bit the bullet and picked up a bright green BTA from Dr. Mac's. It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow morning.

I know all the usual acclimation recommendations, but is there anything particular to acclimating a BTA that I need to know about? We're acclimating our tank to our MH lights and usually have the lights on for about 2'ish hours a day.

Where is this BTA most likely to be happy? Flow, no flow, rocks, sand? I'd like to put him in a place where I *think* might make him happy and then *pray* while he moves around the tank hoping he doesn't peeve off one of my corals!

I'll take any thoughts and recommendations you can come up with.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Probably be happiest toward the bottom since you have MH lights. Moderate flow. Be sure your intakes are all covered. Voice of experience here.
Dr Mac had some nice anemones when I was there. I've no doubt you'll be happy with the purchase. I acclimate mine for no less than three hours with a slow drip. Then I return it to the bag and float it til it reaches temp. Has worked well for me. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it were me I would find a bowl shaped rock about mid way up in the center of your tank. Set him there with the ph off and see if he will attach. I have mh and our green bta's are sitting right on top of the rocks. However they took several months and one splitting into two before they got to the top. He hid for so long that we thought he was dead, then one day two of them showed up on top of the stack.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only intake I have in my main is my Tunze which has a grate all the way around the PH. I'm sure I have to worry about it but I have *no* idea how I'd cover it. It isn't a typical single hole intake. Hmmmmmm.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

window screen material, the nylon kind maybe?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

BTA's like to have their foot in crevices and in the dark/shade.
Check this website out. http://www.freewebs.com/karenssaltwater/ some good links to the left
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just got finished acclimating my gBTA. He looks awful, but Dr Mac reassures me (?!) that this is normal. He was attached to the bottom of my bucket when I went to move him! Ugh! I gently ran my finger under him until I'd lifted him up off the bottom (power head trick wasn't going to work in this bucket! LOL!

Then I put him in my main. This is where the fun starts... my Maroon is already interested in it. To the point of pulling at his tentacles!? I've put a plastic box around him (the one I put over my brain to feed it) so it is somewhat protected from her but man she was brutal and incessant. I guess that's probably a good sign, but it can't be good for this poor stressed out BTA. What do I do? Do I leave the BTA baffled or let the clown loose on it? I've tucked it in under my rock work in a bit of a cave and have the baffle running from the top of the rock to the sand making a little triangle so he's still getting flow but protected from the brute. If I leave it baffled for how long?

TIA!

Old 04-26-2005, 01:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good luck on the bta's let me know how it goes. Want to get one if a few months once my tank re-establishes itself. All info on how to do this would be great!!!
Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

They say that having a clown helps it to acclimate. My maroon just overran the rbta when we first got it(bta). It was just a red blob and the maroon was so huge compared to the bta. My bta bounced right back and never moved from it's spot. I don't know if that's because the fish never let it have a chance to move, or if it really liked it there. If it were me, I would leave it covered till it attaches then uncover it and let it be.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would wait a little while and let the rbta get acclimated good, then you can release the BEAST! 8)

Be careful that the clown is not nipping off the tenticles of the anemone.

Tags
bta, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com