Green Carpet Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PLUS -- look at the rocks ... there BROWN lol.....when i first got them and put them in the "cure'ing" tank, they were a nice purple, kinda colour

sorry to ram on like this... lol but you just have to trust me on this... i did not rush all this in my tank, iv had salter water for 3 years now, iv had a 40 gallon then it got to small so i bought this 60 gallon long, its had fish in it for about a year now

You have nowhere near enough light for a carpet anemone. IF it lives, I predict that quite soon a lot of your fish are going to turn up missing as well. They enjoy eating fish on a regular basis. I know this from personal experience.

Regardless of the tank's age, your lighting really isn't strong enough for any type of anemone. I'd think about seeing if you can take it back for a refund or an exchange. A good exchange would be for a fair amount of snails - I didn't see many in there, and they'd take clean up those brown rocks. Those are diatoms.

Regarding salinity, get yourself a refractometer to measure the salinity. Swing arm hydrometer boxes are an option also, but are not known to be accurate or very reliable.

i have a hydrometer...that measure's salt level tho?
i wish i could take this back but, the store doesnt take back saltwater fish or corals. so im going to have to try an make it work. im going to look into a better light.

it is now morning, and the anemone has not moved. there is a bulb of white stuff coming out of his mouth, and at the edge if it, its kinda stringy.
is this normal when first put into an aqurium? i put it in last night has moved, clownfish hasnt host yet, and the anemone has bin closed the whole time

Please give me advise on wether this is normal, and what to watch for. i really dont want to loose this guy :(

i have a hydrometer...that measure's salt level tho?

Yeah. What are you using it for if not for measuring salinity? Specific Gravity is technically what's being measured, but that correlates to salinity.

i wish i could take this back but, the store doesnt take back saltwater fish or corals. so im going to have to try an make it work. im going to look into a better light.

I'll let the lighting gurus chime in, but you're going to need a big time upgrade in lighting. Probably looking at VHO at least. Compact Flourescents probably won't cut it.

it is now morning, and the anemone has not moved. there is a bulb of white stuff coming out of his mouth, and at the edge if it, its kinda stringy.
is this normal when first put into an aqurium? i put it in last night has moved, clownfish hasnt host yet, and the anemone has bin closed the whole time

Please give me advise on wether this is normal, and what to watch for. i really dont want to loose this guy :(

You've got several strikes going against you:
1. Inadequate lighting
2. Improper acclimation when introducing it into the tank
3. Unknown salinity - could be too high or too low for inverts

You can do something about #1, but with #2 and #3 the damage has probably already been done and it's pretty much up to the anemone.

iv talked to the guy at big als,..ill buy another light --- 4x65 w (around 260watts)

i really hope he lives... like i REALLLY hope he lives

Ok. So you have about 100 lbs of LR in a 60. You don't have a skimmer or at least you didn't mention one. What is the SG of your water? Temp?

I have had a Green Carpet before and I know how very difficult they are to keep. You do not have enough light on your tank to keep this anemone. From the information you gave you don't have enough filtration for the tank either. Anemones require near perfect water conditions, strong flow and strong lighting. 130w of light is enough for the fish but will not keep the anemone alive. I would suggest taking it back to the LFS and do a little research on carpet anemones and then make the changes to your system so you can support one.

Back
Top Bottom