Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to chris stevens
Green Chromis

I have 2 large and 2 small green chromis in my 55gallon. I had 3 small green chromis, but one dissapeared about a month ago. I added another one today, and he is already being bullied into hiding. I always had the impression that odd number schools is the way to go, but is this a problem of introducing him at a different time than the other fish? any way i can help him out? should i add another?

Old 12-21-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I really dont know what to tell you I had that problem in my smaller tank I tried having 3 and I always ended up with two. Thankfully they are only a $5 fish. Also if you try next time They sell these Plastic trays that hang in your tank so you can place new fish in there without them getting all bit up from the other fish. They have a little over flow bilt on so there is water movement, Just place the fish in there for a day and let the other fish get used to seeing him. HTH

125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:37 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I only have one green chromis myself and he is plays nice most of the time. Just watch out at feeding time! I wouldn’t add anymore chromis, and it sounds like you have enough hiding places for them all in the LR.

I know most sites recommend keeping them in groups but personally I’d return all but one to the lfs and go with some other types of fish I’d hate to waste my allotted fish length to just one type of fish and with the 5 chromis you are close to doing just that.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hate to say it but IMO they will probably die. In my 125 I had 2 of my original 7 left and they are very big, so I figured it was time to add 3 more for a bigger school. Well the new guys got clobbered and only lasted a few weeks. So my conclusion is like other damsels once established even green chromis will be nasty. JMO>

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to chris stevens
excellent! and here i was thinking that a chromis only reef tank would be pretty cool
Old 12-21-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I successfully added 3 to an existing 2 a few months ago. I think the key may be adding multiples of approx the same size at the same time. I also have heard odd numbers are best.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let me say my original chromis have been in the tank from the beginning over 3 years..
And they are big for chromis... I can not buy them that big so I figured 3 would help spread out the aggression.
Chris if you add them in groups over a few weeks IMO you would be fine. Or all at once if your tank is stable and large enough for a lot of fish.. A all chromis tank would be very cool....
If you do have trouble moving some LR around may help out some.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Chromis mix with orange tale damsels? I recon my orange tail is very bossy.
flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Chromis tend to become dominant with each other in sameller tanks. I started with 6 and ended up with 3. Within this group there is definitely rank and file. They will bunch together whenever something startles them and they will occassionally shoal in the flow of the sieo's. I have never tried to add another as they are going to be a pain to remove. Eventually survival of the fittest takes over and then nature runs it's course...
Old 12-21-2005, 10:17 PM   #10
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi Chris

I , too have been told that odd numbers are best, but a LFS in Portland, ME told me that she always has better luck with even numbers and to make sure that they are all the same size. They will pick on the smaller odd - man-out. I tried it her way after a couple of failed attempts, and she was right.

By the way the small freshwater tank you sold me is doing great and the kids in my classroom love it. Now they are waiting for me to bring in fish for my in class saltwater tank.

Tags
chromis

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com