Green chromis hiding..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

becz1234

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I just got 2 green chromis a few days ago, them being the only fish in the tank. At first, everything was fine but yesterday I noticed the smaller fish hiding in a dark corner of the tank. The next day, he is nowhere to be found. I suspect the other fish might be picking on him, but I don't know what to do. Would it help if I got more green chromis? My tank is 77 gallons and my parameters are fine.. please help!

In new to hobby for what I read, they can be kept in groups they schooling fish and happiest with other members of there species. They are hardy and reach about 3 inches in length. Do some research on fish compatibility good luck.

From what I've read, they do better in groups of at least 3 or more. If you have 2, the bigger one may pick on the smaller one. I have 3, and they get along fine.

I started with three, lost two and when that happened, my single survivor hid all the time. I just added two more and now all three are out all the time. I think they are just more comfortable in groups. My original three were all the same size and seemed to spend a lot of time going after one another rather than just schooling. My two new additions are smaller and this seems better as I have not seen anyone chasing the others around.

Okay i havent gotten another fish yet, but the one who was hiding before has completely dissapeared. I cant see him anywhere, and I even tried moving the other fish to the refugium to see if he came out with no luck. I'm just really worried about him. Is there any way I can get him to come out? Or is he probably dead?

Okay i havent gotten another fish yet, but the one who was hiding before has completely dissapeared. I cant see him anywhere, and I even tried moving the other fish to the refugium to see if he came out with no luck. I'm just really worried about him. Is there any way I can get him to come out? Or is he probably dead?

There's no easy way to find him if he's hiding. That would involve removing your rock and probably scaring the crap out of the fish if he is okay, which wont help him feel safe and come out. Fish can be pretty good at hiding sometimes, so it's possible he's okay.
What are your water parameters? Might sound like a stupid question, but are your lights on? I only ask because sometimes people turn them off for a few days with new fish, and chromis tend to hide when lights are off.
If your ammo and Trites are zero, I would move the other chromis back to the DT and get another chromis and hopefully them swimming around will draw out the other fish. If he's not ok, your CUC will take care of him. That's just what I would do. Hope your fish is okay!!

Back
Top Bottom