Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
In your sump you have a refugium correct? May I ask what you have in there? If you have room and have not done so yet, you could add a macro algae called chaetomorpha. This algae will eat up excess nutrients and grows rapidly from lights. This sits in your fuge out of sight of the main tank, eliminating algae from your display. Leaving your lights on continuously like you found out increases algae Time periods will save most of your issues.

Justin1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am still having problems with this cloudy water . It is def. not near as bad as it was before. What I did was I started shutting off the light every night, sometimes I just left it off all day. I have done 2 15% water changes in 2 weeks. The cloud is still there, just floating. Fish, crabs, eat fine. I just want my clear water back again! The tank sits right next to a window, but not directly in front. Yet, I have a lot of windows in the house where sunlight will hit it. Do yall still think this is a lighting issue? or something else? My water tested fine at the LFS. I have yet to get my own test kit. I can buy a test kit this weekend and report readings if needed.

Also, to answer Justin, I do have a refugium system and I have a bed of sand and some green moss with live rock in the sump. I also have a light on the sump and skimmer is in the sump. The return hose goes into a sock filter.

I am wanting to purchase my new t5 lighting and get some more live rock so I can start aquiring corals, but I need to fix this problem before all that.

Thanks for reading this and for any replies.

BLACKMOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
I sometimes get the same/simular green water deal.But PWC's "always" clears "MINE" up. W/a 100 gal display (+) a 25-30 gal sump a 30% change is pretty-much manditory.
Luckily over time I've figured out a way to do the 30% change w/salt water....then add 2-3gallons of fresh into the sump....keeping a close eye on salinity reading through out the initial process...and the rest of the day.
Chemical are NOT an option for me thankx to the assitance from the beginning of A/A.
I don't think God used any at the beginning when he designed these thing in the wild.(snik)
Voted for A/A today???????????????????

Harry Gross is offline   Reply With Quote

cloud, cloudy, cloudy water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com