green cloudy water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericosuave

Aquarium Advice Regular
the water in my tank seems to be kinda cloudly with a green haze in it. could this be from the crappy flourescent light im using? i only have 1 flourescent 10,000 k.. its cheeze..

could it be from adding live cured rock? i added it like 2 weeks ago.. my tank has been up for a month and a half.

the fishy's still seem ok.. they dont look sick or anything.

What kind of water did you use to fill the tank? Tap, RO/DI ? What kind of sand as well? It sounds like you have a diatom bloom. This is usually cause by a high phosphate of silicate level in your tank.

Jim

i used RO water and i put some of that live sand in a bag stuff in there.. and mixed it with some dead larger sand.. the sand bed has been there for about 1 month or so.. i just added like 40 lbs of live rock.. my water has been smelling differently since than as well.. like a stronger weird smell.. not like a fart.. but more harsh.. i dont wanna say ammonia.. but almost like it.

Do you regularly do water changes? I'd at the very least do a water change and run some GA.

GA? i have a protein skimmer.. should i turn it up some more? its a prizm piece..

i havnt done a water change yet.. should i do one? and if i do one.. how much should i do? will the fish and everything be ok to leave in there?

Post some stats for the tank, how long has it been up, what kind of filtration, what do you test the water for and what have the tests been reading.
i just added like 40 lbs of live rock.. my water has been smelling differently since than as well.
Adding 40lbs of LR at once could cause an ammonia spike, have you been checking ammonia. Running the skimmer will help. Does your skimmer pull much crap out of the water? Doing a water change never hurts. Do about 20% of the tank volume every month or even 10% once a week. But most important, test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and post the results.

jackdp said:
Post some stats for the tank, how long has it been up, what kind of filtration, what do you test the water for and what have the tests been reading.

my 40 gal tank has been up for about a month and 2 weeks almost 2 months. I had only 10 lbs of rock in there for 1 month.. than i added 50 more lbs. I have 2 maxi-jet 600's in there.

ok here are my levels. i tested them

Ammonia = 0.30 :(
Ph = 7.6
Rate = 3.0
Rite = 0

ok im confused... my brother here has been in the saltwater business for only 6 months.. and hes telling me not to do a water change.. just leave it the way it is and it will go down.. should i take his advice? or does someone else here with more years of experience think i should do something different?

since you have fish, you should do a water change as soon as possible. try to get that ammonia down as much as possible. it will go away by itself, but it kill your fish before it does. you might want to try to get your ph up a little too. doing a water change will help the nitrates as well. HTH

Back
Top Bottom