Green frogspawn coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eva1313

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i added some to my tank. The water levels are fine but i looked at it today and its dying. I had it close to the heater. Would that kill it?

It could be lighting or water flow. What parameters are fine?
What lighting are you using?
What corals are near it?
Do you have a clown fish trying to host it?

The one that is dying is right next to the heater. I think it was to close. Its my first coral. My polyps are fine so is my anemones. My clown fish dont go near it. I use test strips and according to them the water is perfect. Will it grow back or is it dead on that side now?

It may be dead on that side, the direct heat may have cooked It's soft tissue. Keep your eye on it and if it starts looking black or like It's rotting you may want to cut it off.

It started shrinking into it self and then yesterday i noticed all its flesh was falling off. I thought maybe my crabs ate it.

They are very large crabs. I caught one up there today and had to knock him off. He was trying to pic the food out of it.

The crab was probably just eating the dead part. Of course being too close to the heater could kill it. Test strips are not accurate. I would invest in liquid test kits if you plan to keep corals long term.

Ok good to know. Thank you. Which kit would you recommend? The fish store keeps telling me the strips are fine but i dont think they are accurate either

I moved the other polyp away from the heater and moved the heater. I also now have a timer so they dont die from my light being on to long.

Ok good to know. Thank you. Which kit would you recommend? The fish store keeps telling me the strips are fine but i dont think they are accurate either

API salt water master test kit will be much more accurate than the test strips.

I would buy a Salifert calcium test kit along with that reef master kit. I don't like the calcium test in the API kit.

Back
Top Bottom