Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
700am to 7pm automatic timer been like that for very long time. I must admit I haven't been doing water changes weekly only monthly cuz my tests were always good and every water change I suck out tons of algae but just grows back.

Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Ya i only have 10000k bulbs on for 8 hours, acintic bulbs 1/2 hour longer on each side sunrise/sunset with basically no algae growth u should try cutting your lights by 4 hours.

Karlos69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
If your having a problem with algae like that you should be changing the water weekly until its settled. There has to be a chemical imbalance to allow such explosive growth. I agree with Karlos on the lights being on too long. 8 hours is plenty a day.

Here's how my lights run:

9 A.M. - Acintics turn on
10 A.M - Day time lights turn on. Acintics turn off.
8 P.M. - Day time lights turn off. Acintics turn on
9 P.M. - Lights are off.

Hopefully this helps to control the algae, but I would turn the rocks upside down after you manually remove as much algae as possible if you have no corals to bother and create a new aquascape. Any algae facing the bottom will die. This has worked for me in the past but I've only done it once and there wasn't near as much algae.
Cylias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you have no corals then leave the lights off totally for a couple of weeks,during that time find the cause of the problem,even if the lfs says your tapwater is good I would still use RO/DI water,Once the problem is sorted start your light cycle for 8 hours a day
Old Chinese proverb:
Don't go to bed with ichy bum
wake up with smelly finger!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
I totally forget that most of you live in cities and have treated water. I guess I'm lucky living in a rural area where we use drilled wells to pump out water from hundreds of feet below us.

You could turn the lights off for a couple weeks like David S suggested just make sure you have no natural light entering the room where the aquarium is or that will not change the situation by much. It would definitely stunt the growth but algae is a lot hardier then you would think and could survive off the tiniest amount of light. Maybe cover it up the sides with a dark towel.
Cylias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you can't test for everything in tap water. i think your tap water is the problem. 99% of algae problems are caused by excessive nutrients. do you have corals in the tank? if not i wouldn't be running the lights unless i wanted to view the tank. ambient light is plenty for the fish. they only need to see to eat.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Spend the $ on a phosban reactor, manually pull out as much algae as possible, and keep the lights off (depending on corals). If you have corals then shorter each days worth of light and keep the lights off for one day each week.

shorty412 is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com