Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2003, 11:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Green Mandarin feeding question.

What should I feed my green mandarin? When i feed flakes food and freeze dried blood worms, other fishes ( clown, damsel ) eat vigorously, but the green mandarin seems to stay at the sand bed. I ask the LFS owner and they said I don't have to feed them, they would look for food on the LS and LR, is that true?

Old 08-12-2003, 11:43 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Mandarins rarely take to prepared foods, they eat fauna from the LR and Sand bed, in the form of pods. It is recommended you have at least 75-100 lbs of well established LR (that has had not miro predators in with it) for a single mandarin.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are those copepods and amphipods visible? Do all LR contain these kind of fauna that you mention? Because i'm very afraid that the mandarin will starve.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:30 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
the pods should be visable. You can usually see them more at night as they dont often come out in the day because everytihing in the tank eats them.

Live rock should contain these but unless you have a large amount of mature live rock its questionable if you have the proper populations to support this fish. Its very possible to have a decent stock of these pods before you get this fish and have the fish live for a few months as it slowly erradicates the population of pods till non more exist.

Your best bet is to have alot of live rock in a large tank and have a refugium dedicated to pod production.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeding, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com