Green Nussiance Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey All...

Just another Glass Algae question...

My tank is looking great.. I can see my Coraline starting to take over my rocks and the purples are also coming in. I fought the Diatom battle 2 weeks ago and Won that!!

Now I'm dealing with Nussiance Algae on my glass. I've read the link that Melsou posts everytime this question is asked and I will follow that. However, I will not have a RO/DI unit for a couple more weeks (tax check). I've also cut my lighting down to almost ZERO as I still have no corals.

I'm currently wiping the glass clean using a Mag-Float. However, I cannot see how this does ANYHTING to remove the actual Algae int he tank. When I wipe it clean, I see the Algae leave the glass and into the water system. With my Mag-float, I'm not actually cleaning Anything, just moving Algae around. It seems to either setting in another spot on the glass, or on the rocks.

I was thinking maybe tomorrow when I perform my weekly PWC, I could scrub the tank with the Mag, and keep a siphon hose nearby. Is that how you guys use your MAG-float?

That's interesting... usually my snails eat up my algae... I hope someone can chime in for ya goisles!

That's interesting... usually my snails eat up my algae... I hope someone can chime in for ya goisles!

Yeah.. I'd hate to keep throwing snails at this problem.. I've already got like 12 Margaritas, 4 Turbos, some hermit crabs and an emerald.

It's funny, my snails love my rocks.. I mean they DEF are on the glass at times, but majority of them are on the rocks. Occassionally a Turbo will graze the glass but it's a rare.

I may take a photo of it later if I get a chance.

What??? Turbos supposed to go at the glass!!! what dumb turbos you got :p just kidding! That's weird... mine always stuck on glass, only 1 or 2 on the rocks... Well... I hope somebody can give suggestion to get rid of this nuisance!!!

I have the same Mag Float. I normally clean my glass every 2 to 3 days sometimes once a week all depends on how much your feeding to you can get a lot of Phosphates that create algae... I have algae but I don't mine it, it keeps my snails happy and my Kole Tang happy as well.

Here's the Algae i'm talking about:

Left Side of Tank:
algae2.jpg

Front Glass:
algae3.jpg

Tank Shot:
algae1.jpg

FYI.. Salt Deposits on Glass are on the BACK wall of the tank. During my 1st overflow design, I lost siphon and my tank overflowed a bit. In order to clean that, I'd need to remove my background.. I figure(hope) that Coraline will cover that up eventually.

Last edited:
Oh My Lord, yes that's lots of Green Algae...I wonder happened, plus your Live Rock is so white, look more like a base rock...

Oh My Lord, yes that's lots of Green Algae...I wonder happened, plus your Live Rock is so white, look more like a base rock...
My LR DEF bleached out during my cycle. It's starting to change color now. It's look much whiter in the pics then it really is though as I used the camera FLASH

I would test for Phos and see where you are at. but it looks as if it's something your snails can handle...

I have that happen on my tank every few days. That`s part of reef keeping. I`ve had that since I started 10 yrs ago. I only wipe it off the front glass and my fish eat it off the other, mostly my tangs. I personally dont think you`ll ever shake that problem.

I have that happen on my tank every few days. That`s part of reef keeping. I`ve had that since I started 10 yrs ago. I only wipe it off the front glass and my fish eat it off the other, mostly my tangs. I personally dont think you`ll ever shake that problem.

I agree with MELOSU... All apart of reef keeping. Algae is so common in every home aquariums sometimes good sometimes bad.... Like I always say your Aquarium is like a Box of Chocolates you never know what your going to get.:angel:

OK Thanks Melosu! Wish my tank was big enough for a Tang..

I agree with MELOSU... All apart of reef keeping. Algae is so common in every home aquariums sometimes good sometimes bad.... Like I always say your Aquarium is like a Box of Chocolates you never know what your going to get.:angel:

Thanks Forest

That picture doesn't look like a problem at all. Just like melosu58 said... just part of keeping a reef. If we exported ALL the nutrients from a tank, nothing would grow. So between a cleanup crew, and a magfloat cleaning every day or every other day, that's the best we can do. Your picture looks like my tank after about 3 days if I don't clean it

Back
Top Bottom