Green shrimp maybe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can't get a pic, but I have this small thing that lives in a hole in the LR, and he is green and almost looks like a miniture green praying mantis, are there green shrimp? since I can only see the frt half of him (when he is out) I can' really tell. Any ideas?

It's possible, he is all green. like grass. but the head part of that animal, looks simalar, since thats all I saw. If possible I will try to get a pic.

I just caught one today. I saw him poking out of a hole in a rock. I took the rock and dropped in a bucket of RO water, which was considerably colder than the aquarium water, and he came flying out like mad. I then scooped him into a cup, and then into a platic container with a slitted lid, so he is floating in the aquarium until I figure out what to do with him. Hope that helps. :D

if its a big shrimp and the RO thing doesn't work there are plenty of traps out there specifically designed for mantis shrimp. the X- terminator trap seems popular. i've heard alot of good things about it. you can even adjust the size of the trap. btw thanks for the refugium ideas in the chat room. if you can't find any traps check out pet warehouse magazine and if you can't find that try drsforestersmith.com

I'm sorry to hear that, Tim. It worked well for me, and he is still alive in his little refugium. I guess I'll add the "Try at your own risk" to the RO method.

FYI, the traps are only good if they catch him the first try. They are too smart to fall for the same trap twice.

Back
Top Bottom